Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brykeller
Channel Surfer

Re: WW84 using HBO Max causes Roku to overheat

I think the community here is awesome. I started this post a while back and a lot of folks have adding on here. To me, this is an issue with HBO Max, something to do with the way they developed their app, something about it's streaming causes the Roku overheat message to come up. I have actually ignored the message in some cases and nothing bad has happened to my Roku, but that probably isn't the right approach. I too have the Roku 4k streaming stick. I think this issue should be handled in coordination between Roku and the developers of the HBO Max app. It is definitely a real problem. This happened when we watched WW84, The Little Things. It doesn't appear to happen on GoT, which is really dang weird to be honest. It appears to be movies only for me. Please work with HBO Max to repro and see what can be done. I think you're going to lose some customers otherwise. Respectfully, Bryan

Andre0313

We are having the exact same issue with HBO Max and our ROKU stick overheating!  We have the streaming stick plus.  We are using an HDMI extension cord and we are still having over heating issues.  This only happens with HBO Max.  Are there any viable solutions?  Thanks

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Andre0313,

Thanks for the post.

Roku players/Streaming Sticks tend to go warm since it's plugged in all the time, but if you are seeing a message on the screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
Mc64
Reel Rookie

I don’t think the Roku employees are paying attention here. As with others, I also run my Roku for long periods, but only HBO Max causes an overheating issue. Guess I’ll just watch HBO Max on my Apple TV until you guys figure it out.

abir316

I have the same exact issue.. because of this I am now "casting" HBO Max from my phone and have uninstalled the app from Roku. Very disappointing

Mgoble

Zack Snyders Justice League does the same thing

0 Kudos
Mgoble

I have a streaming stick +  and its only when watching movies on HBOMAX

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mgoble,

Thanks for the post.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on the screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.
For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your ...
I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website and seeing if that resolved your issue.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
Mc64
Reel Rookie

This isn't helping. I never had any overheating issues at all except with HBO Max. This is clearly something specific to the application. It doesn't help the community to offer silly suggestions like this.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

But it isn't happening with everyone, so sometimes some basic suggestions might make a difference. I binge watched Game of Thrones on my Ultra 4800 (because Max works better than on my Nvidia Shield with Max) and never had an issue. My Ultra sits on top of a HTPC case and is out in the open, not within a cabinet. Not saying others aren't having issues, but there are data points without issues. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos