Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
buzzmunkey
Level 7

WATCHESPN app not staying activated

I've been having troubles with my WATCHESPN app on the roku staying activated..  I  login and use my Playstation Vue credentials and it says congradulations and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy but then if I switch away for anything and switch back it says to reactivate that there is no credentials used  or whatever it is it says.. It started doing this a couple weeks ago.. At first I thought well so what, football season is over who cares but then I thought I better get on the stick and figure out what is wrong with this.. I have a Roku Express plus bought at walmart in July.. if it helps I have the same issue with a Samsung smart tv does the same exact thing..  is it that PS Vue no longer supports this channel (app)?.. My roku has all the latest updates, from last night... 
0 Kudos
4 Replies
buzzmunkey
Level 7

Re: WATCHESPN app not staying activated

I started here because I thought it was a good idea, it's where I have gone before to find solutions to problems with my roku and when Google it doesn't work, this is a good place to try next or last as sometimes is the case..  Ten minutes after posting my question I found another place to try and it seems to have the answer..  Unplug the router and power cycle it.. Or in other words unplug the router and push the power button which makes all the power stored in the router be bled out,  So then plug it back in turn it on and everything is kosher...  I knew this works this way but forgot.. So.. Now I remember and now whoever reads this will too.. 
0 Kudos
captivater
Level 7

This was happening to me at one point across both Apple TV and Roku devices.

I believe the issue lies with some TV providers requiring authentication after a specified amount of time.
If I recall, the provider in my case was Comcast. No longer occurs with Dish.
0 Kudos
buzzmunkey
Level 7

I hate to say it but my fix as written above didn't fix.. Wasn't a fix at all..  Strangely enough during football season, college football, I didn't have an issue... Then as we got into the new year I've had to re sign in every time I use the app..  Which won't be very much because I only used it for football.. If this was an ala carte for having ESPN I wouldn't have it again and won't use the app again until August or September..  But I do feel like trying to get it working now so I don't have to worry about it come September.. I told them on the troubleshooting site that this doesn't happen with Fox Sports Go...  Thought that might wake them up.. It didn't.. Guess I'll see if PS Vue is the issue and if it is might go to YouTube Tv...  Just to fix it... 
0 Kudos
buzzmunkey
Level 7

Alright while I was conversing on the ESPN site the guy asked if I had something else to use to watch the app and I told him I had a Samsung tv that the app did the same exact thing while using it.. It would take my credentials to activate the app but after switching away it would ask to be signed in again.. Today I tried my old Roku HD player and it worked when I plugged it in.. I didn't have to reactivate it, so I watched it a bit, turned to another channel, got the PS Vue activated on it.. PS Vue is like the old way before Thanksgiving when they did the upgrade on the Express boxes..  I kinda miss that old way of PS Vue ing.. anyway after using that I switched to the ESPN App and it was still working.. Switched to the ESPN on my Samsung.. Yep right back to wanting my credentials.. I fixed that.. I deleted it...  Switched to the Roku Express..  Checked ESPN and yep, needs my credentials...  Is there a setting on the Roku Express that effects them this way that I don't know about??  It doesn't do this on ANY of the other channels that are PS Vue activated.. Absolutely NONE..   Am I holding my mouth wrong???  What's the deal here??  
0 Kudos