Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Vstreamz Legality

Hi,

I normally don't post things like this because I know piracy is nothing to laugh at, but recently a friend of mine who I've known for close to thirty years now recommended I try an IPTV service called Vstreamz. It took less than two minutes for me to start explaining to my friend that it sounded like an illegal pirate service. 

He doesn't comprehend things sometimes, but I saw him share a link on Facebook from this service saying they were coming to Roku's channel store. Knowing Roku's policy on such services, I told him that it would be removed as fast as it became available on the channel store given Roku's policy, etc. I have tried telling him about legal IPTV services such as Hulu and YouTube TV, but he won't listen. So, I did some investigating and sure enough it is a service that offers everything under the sun claiming to offer 6000 channels. No way it could be a legal service, offering PPV content for free as well as channels from different parts of the world. Beyond alerting Roku to this if they aren't already aware of it, I was wondering if anyone on the forum had any advice as to how I can get through to my friend? My main concern beyond not wanting to see him get in trouble is not wanting to see him be ripped off by this service or others like it that charge fees and require credit cards, etc.

Although I personally am a DirecTV subscriber, if I were to transition fully to streaming and it not be a streaming version of what I have now, I would probably go towards YouTube TV, but my friend is a little slow  and though I am not certain, I believe he has a mental disability, which could explain why he doesn't comprehend some things  and also explain why he doesn't know what services are legal and which ones aren't even though I have told him more than once. Any suggestions would be appreciated because I don't want to see him get ripped off, but it's pretty much at the point where despite my background being in media and knowing how to spot things like this and being knowledgeable about streaming, etc., where I have pretty much ran out of things to say to him because he doesn't listen. At the same time, I find it difficult to just say fine have it your way and be done with it, which is probably what I should do,  because I do care for my friends, so I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any input. Its much appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Vstreamz Legality

Roku will remove and block such a service. I'm sure they are legally obligated to.

Theyve done it many times before. Youre both Welcome to give Roku a chance.

There are plenty of free Channels. Some of the Premium(paid for) Channels are

minimally priced.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

I do subscribe to some services through Roku and have been a Roku user since 2012 so I’m not a newbie in that regard. More than likely when the time comes to transition from DirecTV satellite to DirecTV/AT&T digital, I will use Roku more because I really don’t have much interest in the device AT&T is marketing for their new service. One thing that has kept me from cutting the cord beyond being generally satisfied with DirecTV is I still need to record content to DVD for my job as a sports writer for private use/research/archival purposes, etc. I know of no way that I could record to DVD from a streaming device like Roku legally as I can from my DirecTV DVR. If I knew of a way to do that, that was legal, I probably would have already transitioned because as solid as DirecTV is, I don’t like worrying about losing my signal in bad weather and I would likely save significantly just from monthly taxes I pay from having a satellite dish and would probably save more money long-term in general. Unfortunately, until I can hook up a streaming device to my recorder and do so legally, I’m stuck.

As far as my friend, we went to school together so I am doing my best to educate him and look out for him with regard to these pirate services because like I said I don’t want him to get in trouble or get ripped off because I’ve also learned through investigating and using my journalistic skills that services like this will be shut down, but will resurface under a variation of whatever name they were using and because most of these services are based overseas, it is very difficult for authorities to enforce any DACA rights, etc. I’ve also learned through investigating that what these services will do is maintain credit card and other financial information and charge those cards without the customer knowing or agreeing to anything.

I have told him this, but like I said, he doesn’t listen. I really wish I knew what type of disability he has. I’m disabled as well and some of the classes I was in during my school days were for learning disabilities or physical disabilities. I’m physically disabled, but that’s where he and I met and became friends way back when so I assume he has at minimum a learning disability, which as I said would explain why he doesn’t comprehend things well. It’s also the reason why I haven’t just said have it your way because I really don’t think he knows better so even though it is frustrating trying to get through to him, I try my best. I even told him how such services aren’t regulated by the FCC and how they have no legal agreements with any of the channels they offer in their packages to broadcast/stream said content. I said to him any service that does not advertise on a traditional platform that claims to offer 6000 channels should be a red flag to anyone that sees it, but like I said, there are problems with comprehension with him. Told him how I’d been with DirecTV for almost twenty years. They are totally legal, but I think the most channels I have in my package which is premium with sports, etc. is around 400 channels, but it’s probably around 350 when you take the PPV channels, music only channels, and the seasonal sports package channels out of the equation. I only watch about a handful of channels regularly, but my family gets the most out of it. Can only imagine what I would pay if they offered close to a thousand channels in a package  on their service. Kind of makes me glad that the cable/satellite industry has plateaued and is in decline. What I pay already monthly without the occasional PPV Boxing card I cover or the yearly MLB package I subscribe to  is steep, beyond that would be outright insanity. Like I said, if I could record to DVD from streaming as I can from my DVR, it would make the decision to transition easier.  

@boogernose wrote:

Roku will remove and block such a service. I'm sure they are legally obligated to.

Theyve done it many times before. Youre both Welcome to give Roku a chance.

There are plenty of free Channels. Some of the Premium(paid for) Channels are

minimally priced.

Highlighted
Level 11

I don't know what to say as far as your friend. Just hope he doesn't get ripped off. It'll get shut down I'm sure, but who are the people running this service (overseas?) & how easy is it to stop recurring charges or not get hit with one final 'cancellation charge' while the owners pack up & run (figuratively). 

As for DVR, I don't have it or know for certain, but doesn't YoutubeTV have DVR capabilities?  https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

Highlighted
Level 10

@37mediagroup wrote:

I don't know what to say as far as your friend. Just hope he doesn't get ripped off. It'll get shut down I'm sure, but who are the people running this service (overseas?) & how easy is it to stop recurring charges or not get hit with one final 'cancellation charge' while the owners pack up & run (figuratively). 

As for DVR, I don't have it or know for certain, but doesn't YoutubeTV have DVR capabilities?  https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

I’m not sure who runs the service, but I am willing to bet money I don’t have that it is probably based overseas based on what I have been able to learn about such services through research and reading various articles on the subject. Cord Cutters News is an excellent resource when it comes to learning about the scams that are out there. They also do a good job with regard to what they report in regard to the newest streaming hardware and new networks/services that are entering the market. 

As for my friend, that makes two of us. Really hope he doesn’t get ripped off. Unfortunately, I am pretty much out of ways I can explain to him what is legal and what isn’t. In terms of what you were saying about DVR capabilities, I know services like YouTube TV and Hulu have DVR. The issue for me would be being able to record to a physical disc/DVD as I can from my DirecTV DVR currently for my private use/research/archival purposes. As someone who covers Boxing, I am happy that slowly, but surely thanks to DAZN and ESPN+, the sport is gradually moving towards streaming, and in the case of those streaming networks, I don’t need to really record anything because it’s all archived, but there are still those networks and even PPV cards that I need to cover via traditional platforms. I know that there are some apps that have started offering those PPV cards normally only carried on cable/satellite through their platforms, but the problem for me would be not being able to record from those platforms because they only offer the live broadcast and I don’t believe they offer replays or at least there is a limited window for replays and seeing as those cards usually cost me $70 and up just to cover them, I’d need it recorded so I can go back when I’m writing material and for research down the line.

I covered one such card a few weeks ago that with sales tax from DirecTV I paid just shy of $90. While such prices are insane, I probably would have ordered it through an app if I could have recorded it off of streaming. If nothing else, I probably would have saved $10 off what I paid via the traditional route. Even though I really feel DAZN and ESPN+ will ultimately replace the pay-per-view model of the sport, I can’t guarantee that there won’t be other cards via that model or via a traditional network that I would need to record. With few exceptions, my DVR gets a lot of use week to week and I usually spend a day or two a week recording content off of it to discs to save space. If everything were backed up on demand via a streaming platform as is the case with DAZN where I wouldn’t have to worry about the content expiring, it would solve that problem, but unfortunately, we’re not at that point yet. Or, at least at a point where one can legally connect a DVD recorder to a streaming device to legally record content. 

0 Kudos