Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bdonnbd
Level 8

Volume & Display alter on Hulu Channel

On my Onn Roku TV while watching shows on Hulu channel, the audio volume will increase as a commercial break begins. After the commercial ends the audio returns to previous volume, however the screen brightness gets very dark. I then have to adjust the display settings to get screen back to previous brightness, before continuing to watch.

Interestingly, I installed the Hulu channel on my Apple TV connected to the same TV. It does not exhibit any of these changes/problems, and works trouble-free.

Why does the Onn Roku behave differently, and how can I fix this problem?

5 REPLIES 5\
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Volume & Display alter on Hulu Channel

Hi @bdonnbd

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried checking if the same issue occurs with other channels installed on your Onn Roku TV? If you haven't done that yet, we suggest giving it a shot so we can isolate the cause of the problem.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
bdonnbd
Level 8

Hello Kariza,

This problem appears to be unique to the Hulu App. I have not encountered it on any other channel I watch. If there is a specific alternative channel you would like me to try, please advise.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@bdonnbd

Thanks for the update!

In some cases, removing the channel and then re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below making sure you restart your Roku device before adding Hulu again.

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  2. Restart your Roku device: Restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > Power > System restart > Restart.
  3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

If the issue persists from one channel after attempting the suggestions above, videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from the channel developer.

You can contact Hulu Support here: https://help.hulu.com/s/article/how-to-contact-Hulu

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
bdonnbd
Level 8

I contacted Hulu support, and this is the response I received:

"The good news is that there's nothing wrong with your device/s. And we are really grateful that you contacted so that we can tag this case as one of the affected accounts so that our our engineering team can also fix it right away. We really appreciate your patience with this matter."

It is a known issue at Hulu that has yet to be resolved.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@bdonnbd- Thanks for reporting back to relate Hulu's response.  It should help others.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking " Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos