Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Memawof7
Level 7

Violation FEC commercial volume

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/loud-commercials-tv  ROKU violates this rule, especially with wal- mart ads

0 Kudos
3 Replies
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Violation FEC commercial volume

Pretty sure there is no FEC (Federal Election Commission) violation with the loud ads, but there might be an FCC violation - you might want to correct your subject/title.

Regardless, you have to report the violation to the FCC (not to Roku):

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=33794

You might also consider using a volume mode (leveling/night etc) when the ads start, or otherwise use the mute function of your TV.

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Kat-Mekanic
Level 7

I was pissed off one night about Hulu's loud commercials and started googling. Seems that FCC law doesn't apply to "streaming" TV. The law needs to be updated. We shouldn't have to change any settings; do any type of "sound leveling", etc. The commercials during Armageddon (new on Roku) are horrific. I don't always wait for commercials to do stuff - especially for a movie I've seen a billion times. Say you're using the restroom and the commercial comes on blasting so loud they can hear it for miles around. Shame on all of the streaming companies that have commercials. They all do it. I want to tell Roku they suck @ but they're free so I guess in this case, you get what you (don't) pay for. I don't mind commercials in exchange for free content, but knock it off already! For Hulu, you have to pay and still get commercials unless you pay for the highest package. Everyone needs to contact their local representatives and b1tch about this menace to our ears and our sanity!  End of rant.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I'm pretty sure the FCC regulation doesn't apply to online streaming providers. It's applicable to over the air broadcast stations, which are licensed by the FCC. Online providers are not regulated in that way.  And the link in the original post doesn't take you to anything that mentions loud ads. When I searched the FCC web site for loud advertisements or loud commercials, nothing was returned. 

I did do a web search and found the FCC page here. It is only applicable to broadcast and cable TV stations, not online streaming sites. 

This is the specific information they require if you're going to complain about commercial volume levels:

• If you watched the commercial on pay TV (cable or satellite) or if you watched it on a broadcast station
  • The name of the advertiser or product promoted in the commercial
  • The date and time you saw the commercial
  • The name of the TV program during which it aired
  • Which TV station (by call sign and/or channel number and the station's community) or pay TV provider transmitted the commercial
  • If you watched the commercial on pay TV, the channel number on which you saw it and the cable programmer or network

Notice it only mentions broadcast or pay TV (cable or satellite). You can complain all you want. The FCC has no jurisdiction over streaming media. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos