Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UserName1
Level 7

Viewing History

Does Roku compile a history of the "channels" or shows one watches and , if yes, how can it be accessed?  Thx.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Viewing History

If they are compiling a list of customer channel usage, it's not available publicly. I have no doubt they're doing something internally, but how granular or detailed the information is, I have no idea. It might be nothing more than how many people have a specific channel installed, or it might be as detailed as someone used Netflix from xx to xx time. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 10

Hi,

Not that I'm aware of. I know some of the individual apps/channels, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Epix Now, to name a few, do have a recently watched section or continue watching, or some variation thereof, but I don't believe Roku does this as it is a hardware/streaming platform. It might have something along those lines with regard to the Roku channel app, but I haven't browsed it in a good while so I don't know if they added a watch history feature. I know when I browsed the channel a while back, it didn't have those features and from the best I could tell, most of the content available at the time I could access from other streaming networks that I subscribe to, but that's me. Maybe it's different now as things tend to evolve over time.

0 Kudos
saurabhj
Level 8

Viewing history are really helpful for future recommendation. I've been using Netflix and hulu for a long time and I found on web that both netflix and hulu collect view history. But both steaming service provides a way to clear watch history mentioned here. You can check this and get an idea so that you can clear your watch history on Roku. As most of them are way too similar. You can keep these history rather then deleting them. Because they play a crucial role for your future recommendation. But if you really don;t wanna keep them, then you can delete them from the account settings.

UkorEmanresu
Level 7

This whole thread is bull**bleep** from people who don't know the answer to this individual's question, a question that I have as well. Why doesn't Roku chime in here? Roku? Are you listening?

atc98092
Level 21

How can Roku respond? They don't claim to monitor what you watch on your device. The player itself doesn't have enough memory to store that sort of information. Some individual channels offer a recently watched list, but that would only apply within that channel. And if Roku did monitor what you're watching there would be huge complaints about privacy. Personally, I'd prefer they don't monitor what my device is streaming. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Cacheman
Level 7

Roku has limited ability to interact with your account. Hulu, Amazon prime video, or Netflix. However when you go to the website on a computer all of the other streaming sites EXCEPT Disney + allow you to mamage your watch History so you can get appropriate recommendations. I watched "Brave" with my granddaughter on my profile by mistake, and now I am flooded with recommendations "Because you watched Brave"

Disney+ try and catch up! 

0 Kudos