Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMaldaner
Level 7

ViewLocal... How to DVR?

We are using the ViewLocal app and it is working well. We also use SlingTV Orange & Blue. SlingTV has a cloud DVR option, but only for its channels. Does anyone know how to DVR stations on ViewLocal? Cloud or hardware, I will appreciate your tips. Thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: ViewLocal... How to DVR?

"JMaldaner" wrote:
We are using the ViewLocal app and it is working well. We also use SlingTV Orange & Blue. SlingTV has a cloud DVR option, but only for its channels. Does anyone know how to DVR stations on ViewLocal? Cloud or hardware, I will appreciate your tips. Thanks!

That would be something ViewLocal would have to provide. Roku doesn't have any way to do DVR recording, only the services themselves can.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
JMaldaner
Level 7

"trekkeriii" wrote:
"JMaldaner" wrote:

That would be something ViewLocal would have to provide. Roku doesn't have any way to do DVR recording, only the services themselves can.

I appreciate that! Is there a hardware solution? I’ve seen DVRs that record OTA and selected sources like Hulu, Netflix, etc. But, I haven’t seen anything that will record from ViewLocal. Anyone know of a hardware solutio?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Any hardware solution would have to completely bypass the Roku. The Roku has no ability to connect and control external devices, outside of some basic CEC control of TVs and AVRs. Those other DVRs you refer to are complete, stand-alone devices that don't require something else to function.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
JMaldaner
Level 7

Thank you! I am baffled as to how a DVR could discern channels from sources such as apps. It just doesn't make sense to me. When there was just one source, such as cable TV, or even two sources, including OTA, I can see it. But, maybe there are devices that can recognize apps as channels. Some apps, however, such as Pluto, have many channels themselves. So, it gets pretty sticky. Maybe there is just no way to do this.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"JMaldaner" wrote:
Thank you! I am baffled as to how a DVR could discern channels from sources such as apps. It just doesn't make sense to me. When there was just one source, such as cable TV, or even two sources, including OTA, I can see it. But, maybe there are devices that can recognize apps as channels. Some apps, however, such as Pluto, have many channels themselves. So, it gets pretty sticky. Maybe there is just no way to do this.

Using a Roku, no I seriously doubt there would be any way to do this. It would require the channel itself to access the hardware DVR across your network and talk between the two. And of course, it would only be able to record the channel if that channel was what the Roku was using at the time, so it's not like you could record something and use your Roku for something else at the same time. Making something like this work would be extremely difficult. That's why DVRs have their own tuners, rather than using a separate device. And since most online sources (such as Netflix) greatly frowns upon their streams being recorded, the chances of them approving such a function is dismal at best.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos