Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stahlneckr

Re: Video stutters / choppy with Apple TV channel

Jump to solution

Same problem here and the same as everyone else - all other apps work without issue. The only thing that solved it for me was to force SD playback on the Apple TV app.

KennyJ
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It doesn't seem like Roku has any interest in actually trying to solve this problem based on the posts we've seen from Roku representatives in this thread. They just keep posting the same troubleshooting steps that don't work or referring people to report the issue to Apple, despite the fact that Apple doesn't seem to have a way to report issues with their Roku channel.

If they were actually interested in trying to solve this issue, I think they should look at what some of the common reported problems and configurations seem to be. For one, it seems obvious to me that this issue doesn't affect all Roku users. It may not even be specific to a specific piece of Roku hardware. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's a software bug. People have reported all different kinds of Roku devices, from sticks to TVs.

The common thing I've noticed (and from my own experience) seems to be related to sound. Some have found they can solve this issue by disabling Dolby Atmos and others have found that they can fix it by changing their sound back to TV speakers.

In my own case, Apple TV+ worked fine until I installed the Roku Wireless Speakers. That could be coincidence, except other people seem to have also pinpointed sound related issues causing the problem.

In my opinion, there is likely some kinds of configuration related to sound settings (wireless speakers, dolby atmos, etc.) and AppleTV that don't play nice. The easiest thing for Roku to do would be to try to reproduce this issue themselves using some of the info they received here.

In the meantime, I'll continue watching Apple on my Xbox.

Texas-Mark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

"The only thing that solved it for me was to force SD playback on the Apple TV app."

That is what worked for me. As I noted earlier, the picture quality seems exactly the the same and the TV reports 1080i. This is why I think there is a bug in their software.  Unfortunately Roku refuses to step up to the plate and get with Apple to look into it,  All they do is tell us to report it to Apple ourselves which is impossible, because the link they supply is only for support for their own devices. 

bdoserror
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for explaining that setting the quality to SD doesn't actually affect the quality of the output. I finally tried that and you're right, I'm still getting high quality video and the issue seems to be fixed for me.

0 Kudos
zervicc

Jump to solution

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Wh33zy13

Jump to solution

@Texas-Mark wrote:

When I watch Foundation and the video glitches, the audio changes pitch for a while, like the video has sped up just a bit. Weird. Never seen/heard  that before. 

Have the Same issue. Only Appletv

0 Kudos
Wh33zy13

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@bdoserror

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Seriously dude??? Are you a real person or a bot? You have been giving the same answer for almost two years… 

Firstly:  contacting apple is futile 

Second: it’s not an Apple issue, it’s a Roku issue with AppleTV

Please fix 

thanks

redguru

Jump to solution

Had the exact same problem and found a solution:

1. Go into settings (gear icon in upper right)

2. Change 'Limit Playback to SD' from Off to On

Problem solved. Sorry that everything will be in standard def, but it certainly solved the problem for us.

0 Kudos
Mcdivot
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That's awesome that you found a solution, but I can't bring myself to be happy watching content in SD. I have a 4k projector that is 110' and I need it to be beautiful! I just switched to using an Xbox instead of a Roku and everything is great.

0 Kudos
webbym
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Mcdivot FYI, prior users have stated that when you switch to the SD setting in the AppleTV channel that the content continues to be the highest resolution that your device can support (HD, 4K), but that the stuttering / choppy problem stops.

I haven't tested this as I've allowed my AppleTV+ subscription to lapse. I've found that I can subscribe to AppleTV+ one month per year, binge everything worth watching, and unsubscribe. By rotating through subscriptions each month, I've been able to only pay for at most 2 subscriptions per month. AppleTV+ just doesn't have enough content to subscribe year round, especially if they can't be bothered to fix their Roku channel. And, yes, I may not purchase another @Roku in the future (this is my 5th or 6th Roku device) since they can't be bothered to contact major channels to let them know about widespread bugs. @Roku, we paid you money for a simplified, seamless experience. @RokuDanny-R , stop passing the buck. It's a lot easier for your company to contact AppleTV+ and get traction than for your users.