Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roykirk
Channel Surfer

Re: Video stutters / choppy with Apple TV channel

Jump to solution

I'm on 1Gbps as well, and wired, so bandwidth isn't the issue, unless it's something on the Apple+ end that's restricting it.

0 Kudos
ohmark
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same exact problem with with Roku Streaming Stick +. Forum moderators here of no help. Their repeated advice is to contact Apple support. Apple support not interested in problems of consumers unless Apple devices involved. Problem is clearly Apple TV+ app for Roku.

Danny, only Roku has the power to deal with Apple to fix this problem. If Roku doesn't do this, resolution for Roku customers is either to buy a different brand of streaming device or stop watching Apple TV+. So, Danny, how about moving this up the Roku chain so that a higher level Roku manager or executive will deal with Apple so that this problem gets fixed? If it's not, then Roku will lose users to other streaming brands and Apple TV+ will lose viewers.  On the the other hand, maybe that's Apple's intention--to get Roku users to switch to using the Apple TV device.

Roykirk
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

"...On the the other hand, maybe that's Apple's intention--to get Roku users to switch to using the Apple TV device."

Absolutely Apple's modus operandi since forever with all their products.  One of the major (among many) reasons I loathe them as a corporation as they're worse than all of their competition in this regard.  But I do enjoy my "Ted Lasso" and "For All Mankind" enough that I actually have been paying them their $5 a month

Only Roku can see this resolved.  Apple won't listen to any of us here.

0 Kudos
Megafauna
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Nah, the app works flawlessly on my LG smart TV. Apple's not acting nefariously here, it's just a bug that hasn't risen high enough to get attention. I'm in a meeting every Monday where we rank the new bugs and decide which need to be fixed now and which can wait. A key criteria is whether users have a workaround. I do (my smart TV and my game console), and I'm guessing most Roku users do, too. That sucks, and I wish they'd fix it, but I get why they aren't.

It's actually working to their detriment, in my case. I deleted the defective app from my Roku so I wouldn't forget and try and use it. But now I need to remember to look somewhere else for Apple TV's content; since Foundation season 1 ended, I haven't been there in weeks, and Apple TV+ is on the chopping block (there are only so many streaming services I can pay attention to, and I cancel the ones I'm not).

0 Kudos
Texas-Mark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

"Nah, the app works flawlessly on my LG smart TV. "

Well, good for you. But that does not mean others are not having the issue. The software may not be the same for every platform.

"I'm in a meeting every Monday where we rank the new bugs and decide which need to be fixed now and which can wait. A key criteria is whether users have a workaround."

LOL Remind me to not buy any products your team is involved with, This is pretty much the only bug I have read about concerning the Apple app, And how would anyone know how many people have a workaround?  Not everyone searches for forums like this.

"I do (my smart TV and my game console), and I'm guessing most Roku users do, too."

You would guess wrong. 

" I deleted the defective app from my Roku so I wouldn't forget and try and use it"

So you are giving Roku/Apple a pass by just not using it. That will get help get it fixed. 

0 Kudos
bdoserror
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I also started getting this issue 2-3 months ago, after Apple was working fine before for about 6 months since I started using it, so it seems like it must be a recent update that broke it.

My network is plenty fast and no other channels on the Roku have this problem.

Roku Apple Channel information:

Version: 9.1.0.10R70:10.1.0 (roku4-10R70):apple

Media Engine: 2.15.21:0.1.26-fairplay-4.9.17

Model: Roku 3810X

Firmware Version: 10.5.0-4208

OS Information: Roku OS 10.5.0

Region: Canada

Network Type: Wi-Fi

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@bdoserror

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Texas-Mark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R

Are you joking? People here have said over and over that does not work. Giving the same bogus "advice" over and over is just making you and Roku look worse (if that is even possible at this point). 

bdoserror
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've already done that, it didn't change anything.

0 Kudos
Jcplan

Jump to solution

I agreed,  why does he keep saying remove the app!! That dosnt work and everyone keeps saying  that.. Can you  not read?

I  just changed my ethernet wired ruku from auto to stereo and so far it appears  to fix the unbearable lagging issue.  Looks like it is an issue  with dolby digital atmos as has been pointed out a few times.

Will Apple ever fix this issue???

0 Kudos