Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Megafauna
Reel Rookie

Re: Video stutters / choppy with Apple TV channel

Jump to solution

It's so strange... the first time I experienced the choppiness was several weeks ago during the opening credits for Foundation. The rest of the episode was fine. This happened for two or three episodes. Credits bad, episodes fine. After a few episodes it started affecting the actual show. Rebooting the Roku fixed things for a while. I've not seen this with other shows I've watched on Apple TV the last couple months.

Tonight, rebooting didn't help. Removing the app, rebooting and reinstalling the app didn't help. Setting audio to stereo didn't help. The Roku reported plenty of bandwidth for 4K.

Finally I set up the Apple app on my LG smart TV and two episodes of Foundation played flawlessly. Something is off with the Apple implementation on Roku, I won't speculate where.

Roykirk
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I had the exact same issue playing Ted Lasso from my Roku Premiere+ yesterday, and it's a recent development.  Every episode the video would stutter, the audio would cut out, and sometimes even if the video picked up again, the audio wouldn't come back without a restart of various components.  I finally switched to watching the same episode and later ones on my Sony AndroidTV app instead, and everything played flawlessly.

Seems to be an issue with Apple+ on Roku, because other channels don't exhibit that behavior.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Roykirk

We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Please be advised that channels on Roku are maintained by the channel provider themselves. If the issue only occurs on a specific channel, that's an indication that there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them. We would recommend reaching out to Apple TV support to report the issue and get help. 

You can contact them here: https://support.apple.com/apple-tv

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Roykirk
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info, but that support appears to be only for someone who has Apple hardware.  I find no place to report a problem with their app on other platforms, neither Roku or AndroidTV.

0 Kudos
Texas-Mark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

" We would recommend reaching out to Apple TV support to report the issue and get help."

How many times is this same nonsense going to be posted? As already noted many times, the Apple support site linked is ONLY for Apple devices.

Roykirk
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've been looking over the older posts in this thread and am even less happy now as I see that it's a problem with Dolby Atmos and Apple+ specifically, which matches exactly what I'm seeing: that it's a problem with the interaction with the Roku and my soundbar.  However, no other channel on the Roku with Dolby Atmos (such as HBOMax) exhibits this behavior, which means it's again specific to the Apple+ app.  I also have a 4K disc player with that isn't having any issues either when playing Atmos discs, where the bandwidth is much higher.

As noted, Apple+ on Android TV does not have the issue either.

Also, since Apple support is only for Apple devices, is it not on Roku to report these issues to Apple since we cannot?

mitchd
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I resolved my Ultra (2020) glitching problem. 

My Ultra (2020) problem was originally wired from the Roku to a high end powered DVDO HDMI switcher, and from the switcher to the TV via a 25 foot high speed HDMI 2.0b cable. This setup worked perfectly for the first 7 months or so until the AppleTV app started glitching. This eventually spread to other apps, and after the 10.5.0 update, even the Roku menus started glitching. At that point (a few weeks ago) I decided it was probably a hardware failure since everything else connected to the video switcher worked ok, and the Roku is still under warranty, so I obtained a Return Authorization number and was about to send it back for a replacement when I tried one last thing before doing the factory reset and packing it up. I moved the Roku next to the TV and connected it directly to the TV via a short 3 foot high speed HDMI cable. Everything then worked perfectly, even AppleTv.  I don’t understand it, but the problem is gone. 

I realize my solution will not work for those with streaming sticks or Roku TV’s and does not excuse Roku for the lack of customer support, but it is worth a try before giving up on Roku. 

0 Kudos
Texas-Mark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

My "band-aid" solution of changing the AppleTV app to SD still seems to be mostly working. Still an occasional audio dropout, but nothing like before. Now I don't know what Apple's definition of SD is, as my TV is still reporting 1080P and the picture quality seems fine. Certainly not what I would call "SD". If the Roku Express is up-converting, it is doing a pretty good job.  Still, this really needs to be fixed. 

0 Kudos
Rkuscks
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

NOPE … it’s a ROKU issue. I have Verizon 4g gateway , connected to my Roku , EVERY channel FINE , my Kitchen tv is connected to my AirPort Extreme , to my Airport Express to my Apple TV… and there is ABSOLUTELY no issue , but from my Gateway 4g to Roku , Apple slows , speeds up , stops , breaks up …EVEN  the remote lags ….. definitely a ROKU ISSUE…please fix it. Very very annoying 

Mcdivot
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same issue for me. No problems with any other app for 12 months with daily use. Apple TV stutters constantly. Download speed is 1000Mbps, obviously not the problem.