Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmogoody
Reel Rookie

Re: Video stutters / choppy with Apple TV channel

Jump to solution

Just a heads up if the content is using Dolby Atmos there is apparently a known issue with the update from June/July.  Unfortunately the solution is to disable Atmos for the time being. 

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Apple-TV-App-Stuttering-4K-HDR-Dolby...

0 Kudos
Locdogg39
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The issue is with Dolby Atmos, when changing my roku stick to the "stereo" setting thereby disabling the Dolby Atmos from the streaming it is smooth. Roku and Apple TV need to get together and fix this cause I can't streak my 4k itunes content from my Roku stick due to this bug. Disabling Dolby Atmos sucks! 

0 Kudos
Dougzv
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Smart Soundbar. It only seems to have general settings for audio and nothing labeled Dolby. Anybody know what setting I need to change to turn Dolby off? I also have the sub and speakers connected for surround.

0 Kudos
Locdogg39
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I believe you would need to go into the sound settings of the roku stick itself and change it to Stereo 

0 Kudos
Sleighpark

Jump to solution

Mine is a smart sound bar too and constantly stutters on Apple TV app only. It also does not show subtitles

If I switch to my tv internal speakers — problems gone. Except the sound sucks and volume is very low. 
I don’t see the audio settings from the Roku stick mentioned by others on my sound bar. 

0 Kudos
Jnevy04

Jump to solution

Removing the channel and reinstalling it won’t help. The Apple TV App on Roku just doesn’t work well. I’ve tried so many different things and nothing seems to fix it. It just is what it is for now…

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Jnevy04

Thanks for the post.

Could you tell us specifically the issue with Apple TV? Does it only occur on a specific channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device? 

Also, did you restart your device before re-installing Apple TV? That step is crucial when performing the troubleshooting. If you haven't tried it yet, we would recommend giving it a shot once again. Here are the detailed steps you can follow:

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  2. Restart your Roku device: Restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System restart > Restart.
  3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
KennyJ
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RokuKariza-D,

I'm having the same issue.

Could you tell us specifically the issue with Apple TV?

After a few seconds of a show or movie (doesn't seem to matter which one), the video and sound will begin to stutter and become choppy. I notice that when this happens it appears the asterisk settings menu as well, if you access it while the video is stuttering in Apple TV. I also noticed that this seems to have started after I bought and connected Roku Wireless Speakers. I have not  tried uninstalling the Roku wireless speakers to test if they are the problem -- I can just say that Apple TV used to work fine and now it doesn't.

Does it only occur on a specific channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

I've only noticed it on Apple TV. I regularly use Netflix, HBOMax, Disney Plus, Prime Video, YouTube, Vudu and several others without any issues.

Also, did you restart your device before re-installing Apple TV? That step is crucial when performing the troubleshooting.

Yes. I followed the instructions exactly. Removed channel. Rebooted. Added channel back. The issues persists.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @KennyJ

Appreciated the detailed information.

Since you are only experiencing the issue on one channel, videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from the channel developer.

You can contact Apple TV Support here: https://support.apple.com/tv

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Texas-Mark
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Same problem here. I just re-subscribed to Apple TV+ and get stutters every few seconds. It was not doing this about 6 months ago or so. Did the whole uninstall, reinstall, reboot thing. No joy. Had to resort to turning on stereo mode. But I don't think it is the audio as the root cause, but something in the video. When the video stutters it causes the DD to "glitch" and that causes the bigger audio stutters when the AVR looses snyc. I'm still seeing video stutters, but with stereo enabled, the audio is not affected as bad. 

Contacting Apple is futile. 

Not sure why this issue has been marked as solved when people are still having the issue.