Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
webbym
Channel Surfer

Video stutters / choppy with Apple TV channel

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Ultra (4660, 4661, 4662 series) # (4660X, up to date). For most channels, everything works great, but the Apple TV channel / app continues to be problematic. After the Apple TV app has been open for a while, the video becomes choppy / stutters / skips / jumps / strobes. The audio is fine, but the video freezes, then advances, then freezes, etc.. If I exit the app, then reopen Apple TV, then it’s fine again. I’m pretty sure that this is the only app where I’ve had problems, although I’ve maybe had problems with Amazon Prime trailers (but not with actual films or tv episodes)

This tends to happen after finishing a movie or episode, during the second movie or episode. It can also happen after pausing, or rewinding, or fast forwarding.

I’m using a Sceptre 4K tv with an Amazon basics high speed HDMI cable. I have Google Fiber at 500Mbps connected directly to the network box via ethernet.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Video stutters / choppy with Apple TV channel

Jump to solution

Hey @KennyJ

Appreciated the detailed information.

Since you are only experiencing the issue on one channel, videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from the channel developer.

You can contact Apple TV Support here: https://support.apple.com/tv

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
82 REPLIES 82
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@webbym 

Thanks for the note.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. 

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to Apple TV directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the Apple TV channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

You can reach them here: https://support.apple.com/apple-tv

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Bhumphrey

Jump to solution

Same issue for me. Any resolution?

webbym
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Nope. No resolution for me. I have noticed that video is more likely to stutter when it’s from sources other than AppleTV+ (Epix, Starz, etc.). For instance, when watching the content made free in June in connection with Black Lives Matter, if the content was made available via Starz, then it was much more likely to get choppy to the point that sometimes it would happen even immediately after I had opened the app fresh. I would open another Roku app (“channel”) to flush the memory, then reopen the Apple TV app, and most of the time it would resolve. A few times, however, even after multiple attempts the video was still choppy. I eventually gave up on the Apple TV app and just downloaded the Starz app (Roku channel), which worked just fine. I haven’t been able to isolate the cause. Maybe some transient timing issue?

0 Kudos
jkapper11

Jump to solution

I have also experienced the same thing on the apple tv app. Rebooting the Roku works for the first show, but then it comes back to stuttering for the second. Very annoying

0 Kudos
Dougzv
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same issue here.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@jkapper11 @Dougzv 

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Same issue and reinstalled with no difference. 

0 Kudos
jculotta

Jump to solution

Same issue here. Tried uninstalling app and system reboot. Still having same issue. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Same issue here. Tried the proposed solution of removing the app and restarting with no success. Any new solutions for this? 

0 Kudos