Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
K_Cochran
Level 7

Video freezing on ESPN app

Does anyone else have issues with the ESPN channels periodically pausing the video for about two seconds, but the audio is fine? It doesn't happen all of the time. I can change the channel and go right back, and the problem goes away. Most of the time it will start right back up after a minute or two. Eventually it stops doing it. Sometimes it's a live game. Sometimes it's a game replay. No other channels have this issue.

I use a Roku Stick which is about 2 feet away from my router, and my internet speed is perfectly fine.  I'm seeing the issue right now as I'm watching the Birmingham Bowl.

The information on my Roku:

Model Number:3400x

Software Version 9.0.0:4084
Serial Number: 1EJ46H036628
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Video freezing on ESPN app

"K_Cochran" wrote:
Does anyone else have issues with the ESPN channels periodically pausing the video for about two seconds, but the audio is fine? It doesn't happen all of the time. I can change the channel and go right back, and the problem goes away. Most of the time it will start right back up after a minute or two. Eventually it stops doing it. Sometimes it's a live game. Sometimes it's a game replay. No other channels have this issue.

I use a Roku Stick which is about 2 feet away from my router, and my internet speed is perfectly fine.  I'm seeing the issue right now as I'm watching the Birmingham Bowl.

The information on my Roku:

Model Number:3400x
Software Version 9.0.0:4084
Serial Number: 1EJ46H036628

A model 3400? Wow. Haven't seen one of those in a while. And, few people here will be able to attempt to replicate that, since it's so old. That's the original Roku Stick that connected via MHL port to the "Roku Ready" TVs.

I've been watching the game, too, and haven't had any issues like you describe, but I have a much newer device. I'm not saying it's that model Stick, but I do wonder.

To attempt to resolve, have you rebooted the Stick?? That might be all that's needed. Of course, there is the old Remove, Reboot, Reinstall (in that order) to see if that works. Not sure what else to suggest right now.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
K_Cochran
Level 7

I was factoring in that it's an older model.  But everything else is running fine on it, and the stick has been bulletproof since I got it.

I actually unplugged it from the TV on Thursday and let it sit for 24 hours, and that didn't seem to help out.  So maybe it's time for an upgrade.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"K_Cochran" wrote:
I was factoring in that it's an older model.  But everything else is running fine on it, and the stick has been bulletproof since I got it.

I actually unplugged it from the TV on Thursday and let it sit for 24 hours, and that didn't seem to help out.  So maybe it's time for an upgrade.

It would be a shame if you needed to replace it, since it's been such a reliable device. If you do, there are now two Sticks: model 3800 and model 3810, called the Stick+. The Stick+ is 4K capable, which might not make a difference with your current TV.

I've not used the current Sticks, but can testify that the model 3600 (the previous model) is a lot faster than the 3500, which is the model that replaced yours. So, should you make the change, you'll notice a bump in responsiveness.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
K_Cochran
Level 7

I'm still seeing this issue periodically, so I'm about to head to my neighborhood Office Depot to get a 3800.

Thanks for all the information and quick replies.  It is much appreciated!
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

The issue I was experiencing with my 3400 was the stick would reboot periodically for no apparent reason.  The problem was being caused by the video monitor power supply, which had difficulty powering the ROKU 3400.
0 Kudos
K_Cochran
Level 7

I got a newer Roku, and all appears well now.  I do get a message sometimes saying the Roku is overheating, so the fact that I'm powering it from the USB input on the TV might be an issue.
0 Kudos