Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ltdofw

Video freezes but sound continues.

Hi - I am trying to watch Ski Bum: The Warren Miller Story on the Roku channel and every, say, 30 seconds, it reloads and comes back with the video frozen but the audio continues. This hasnt happened on anyother station.

8 REPLIES 8
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Video freezes but sound continues.

Hi @Ltdofw,

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? Does this happen on all movies/shows in The Roku channel or just specific titles?

In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can investigate further?

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
sbcglobal
Channel Surfer

@Ltdofw 

@RokuMary-F 

I am having a very similar issue (the program sometimes reloads, but not always, and can occur in as little as 15 seconds of watching). It occurs only with movies listed in Roku Channel's free programs, particularly the more unusual (perhaps less watched) videos. For example, I'm trying to watch Alien Watchers: Ancient Gods, and the video frequently freezes, while the audio AND the subtitling continue in perfect synch.

Interestingly, it NEVER happens when a commercial is being shown! Smiley Tongue

If I back out of the program, return to the same program again, and "RESUME", surprisingly, the program begin to play exactly where I backed out, as it should, the video moving in perfect synch with the sound and subtitles again...BUT in a very short while, the same old problem - the video freezes and the audio and subtitles continue to play despite the frozen video.

I have never had this problem until this past week, and estimate that I do not have this problem with about 75% of the free Roku programs or movies. And I never have this problem with other channels (or as I said, with ANY commercials ANYWHERE).

I have a 3710RW that works very well and has never given me a problem before:

• "Check network" feature indicates that I have "excellent" internet/wifi signals, download "good" - 18mbps.
  • Software version: 10.0.0, Build 4195-28
0 Kudos
Mikep77

Hello. I am having the exact same issue with Warren Miller’s Ski Bum. Seeing how old the thread is, I thought this would have a solution but it looks like Roku didn’t get back to anyone. This is happening on all of our devices just like the other post have said. Audio and captioning continue to play while the video freezes. Please help. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Mikep77

Thanks for the post.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
sjwolf
Channel Surfer

Have the same problem using the Roku Ultra 2022. Using an extender, signal excellent, download is 55 mbps.  Happens on "The Blaze" archived shows.  Will reload application and see what happens.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@sjwolf wrote:

Have the same problem using the Roku Ultra 2022. Using an extender, signal excellent, download is 55 mbps.  Happens on "The Blaze" archived shows.  Will reload application and see what happens.

It only happens on just the one app? All other apps work fine in regards to on-demand content?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
sjwolf
Channel Surfer

Some have said to check for an update to the app (The Blaze) or even a Roku update.  Been there.  What seems to work is going into settings, system and reset.  Basically, it's a power off and restart of the system.  So far, it's been working. I'm not sure it it's Roku or the app.  This "failure" does not appear on live shows.  A new issue is a blank / black screen, which is also "fixed" by the "reset". There are no messages of lost video connection.

0 Kudos
sjwolf
Channel Surfer

Frankly, that is the only app we use.  Live shows have been good.  It seems to be on recorded shows. system reset / aka power off seems to fix.  

0 Kudos