Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Vidangel not on Roku

Jump to solution

I'm going to suggest contacting the service directly. They would be the ones to build and support the app.

There is one bit of information that may or may not apply. If it does, it might be helpful.

Roku allows (but does not support) non-certified apps (Roku uses the term "channels" for "apps"). That means if an app developer or service does not submit the app to Roku for inclusion in the Channel Store, or if it is not accepted in the Channel Store, it can still be added to the Roku. The app developer/service would provide the app code to enter and load the app.

I don't know of VidAngel has or has ever had an official Roku app, but if not, they may provide a code for the app. Regardless, you would contact them.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Palmerfamily
Reel Rookie

Re: VidAngel or The Chosen

Jump to solution

We are having the same issue. We can download the VidAngel app on our phones, but we can't sync this to Roku. We've typed in  VidAngel, VidAngel Studios, on Roku, but it reads there is no selection. We've followed the steps, but still can't get the VidAngel Studios on Roku. Of course - it's almost impossible to reach Roku to request assistance.

Gus2

Jump to solution

Just FYI Vidangel was on Rocky when Season 1 was released.  I had it installed on my home page on Roku but it has disappeared. Not sure what has happened. 

0 Kudos
EFGDEG
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your answers!

I tried now to add VidAngel manually via the link @DBDukes provided (thanks for that). But when i do so a message pops up it is not available in my area.

Are there different areas and it is possible some services are available in US and not in Europe?

I tried to contact VidAngel on that over a week ago - but they are really slow in response. Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

Yes, it's true that app developers determine where apps are allowed to be installed. For example, there's a BBC iPlayer app for Roku. You won't find it anywhere other than UK (well, maybe Canada, but I'm not sure). That's because its content is only authorized for viewing in certain locations. BBC is only intended for UK. The BBC America app is a different app and is intended for US audiences. It may contain overlapping content, but BBC America is for here and BBC is for there for legal reasons.

As to why you're encountering that for VidAngel, I don't know, but yes, it's certainly possible. I know there have been legal challenges to VidAngel's service. Whether or not that's what's going on, I don't know. Your best best is to await word from them. You might want to contact them again. Use multiple paths, such as email, Facebook, Twitter, and anything else.

Perhaps someone who works for Roku will step in and answer, but maybe not. It could be that whatever is going on is from VidAngel's end, and that would have to come from VidAngel.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
EFGDEG
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your information. Smiley Happy

I will wait for their reply. Maybe they can bring some light into that.

Greetings
Christoph

0 Kudos
EFGDEG
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Now i got feedback from the app vendor. One thing he asks me to do is to go to advanced system settings and check under device connect it it's enabled - same for control by mobile apps.

Problem: When i go to advanced system settings i see "control by mobile apps" but i can't find "device connect". Is this a feature not available on every Roku device?

Are there devices with different capabilities regarding connection via an app?

Greetings - Christoph 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

The Roku OS can offer different things depending on the device. It can off offer different things because of the OS version. Major operating system changes can add, remove, or relocate functions and their settings.

This morning, I checked a Roku Stick+ running OS 9.4.0 and there is no "Device connect" setting, while my Streambar that is running 10.0.0 has the setting. And, I've seen the setting before. As I've had Roku devices since 2010, it could have been on any number of earlier releases.

Let's get a little more information about your system to help determine what's going on regarding the menu commands.

First, ensure your device is up to date. Go to Settings > System > System update > Check now

If it updates, keep doing the update again and again until it says "All software is up to date."

Next, go to Settings > System > About  and let us know what it says under Model (we're really looking for the model number) and Software version.

There is an observation I'd like to make, and some speculation.

You approached VidAngel about adding their app. The instructions about "Device connect" relate to mirroring a phone or tablet, and have nothing to do with installing an app, or allowing the Roku to install an app.

This makes me think VidAngel does not have an app, and is telling you how to use the app on your phone or tablet to mirror your screen. What it looks like they're doing is telling you how to allow your VidAngel mobile (phone or tablet) app to play and simply display the content on your TV via Roku instead of on the mobile device.

To confirm that, if you would provide to us a copy of the instructions, or read through them carefully and see if it includes launching the app from a phone or other mobile device.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
EFGDEG
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your detailed reply @DBDukes 
I did all the updates possible and my device itself is a

1. Roku Stream Stick+ 3810EU
  2. seriel number YH009S347801
  3. OS: 9.4.0 Revision 4210-50

What i understand the app vendor tries to mirror my phone to Roku (like you described). Basically there shouldn't be the request for adding the VidAngel channel to Roku (that's what the app is asking for at the moment) but simply the described mirroring.

What i do is

1. I open the app
  2. i click on streaming to device
  3. i select my Roku Streamstick+
  4. Now it is supposed to stream without any further doing. Instead i keeps asking me to add the channel

This was the support description from the vendor:

Let's first please make sure you’ve tried these basic troubleshooting steps:

1. Is your Roku turned on and all set up?
  2. Is your phone’s WiFi turned on and on the same network as your Roku? (Dual-band routers offer a 2.4G and a 5G signal, make sure both devices are on the same one.)
  3. Have you tried force/hard closing the Chosen app and rebooting both devices?
  4. Do you have the most updated version of the Chosen app?
  5. Please update the Roku by going to Settings> System> System Update> Check Now

Another thing you can check is your Advance System Settings on your Roku. To do this, please go to the Roku Settings > System > Advanced System Settings and then enable "Device Connect" and "Control By Mobile Apps."

If you have gone through all of these and you’re still having trouble, some possibilities are that your internet is too weak to register that there is a device there waiting or your Roku may not have the casting technology needed. 

Greetings Christoph

0 Kudos
Jules1

Re: VidAngel or The Chosen

Jump to solution

Same issue: VidAngel does not come up as an option for a channel or an app on my Roku at all.  Not sure how to bypass this as I'm not able to cast from the app to my tv for some reason, and now I cannot locate VidAngel on Roku to follow those steps, either.