Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scotty2541
Level 7

VidAngel or The Chosen

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a unit that says model 3810.  It's the Stream Stick, which was a gift a few months ago, so it's rather recent.  And the firmware is updated.

I am trying to watch "The Chosen" which uses VidAngel.  I was instructed to install the app on my cell, and connect to Roku.  I tried...

My issue is that neither my cell phone, nor my tablet can connect.  Both android (9 and 6).  I have followed the directions I've seen linked here from another user.

The VidAngel app pops up a connect page, shows that it can see my Roku, but when I tap, it just shows the little TV with WiFi radio signals.  Not the device name.  It's empty.  Same with the app written by the people who produced the show "The Chosen".

So the cell/tablet app is not really seeing the Roku.  Just "something" that's there.

I set the Roku's "allow mobile..."  to permissive.  That had no affect.

The devices are all on the same network, within the same subnet.  All on the same wireless network.  But it will not communicate.

Alternately, I was told to try to install the non-certified "VidAngel" app directly onto my Roku.  So I followed the steps, and it never appeared, although the web page said it's done, and to do a software update in order to see it.  It's not there. It won't load it...
So, as a test, I selected another regular channel from the web page, and added it.   It appeared almost immediately on the device.

The people supporting VidAngel or the app to allow me to watch "The Chosen" have not been any help.  They tried, but their ideas are exhausted.

Has anyone had this problem and solved it?  If so, how?

Any advice is appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: VidAngel or The Chosen

Jump to solution

Hi @FWBeekman,

We appreciate your post.

Have you tried removing the channel and adding it back after you've restarted the device does not resolve the channel issue, I'd recommend reaching out to the channel support directly to report the issue and request additional support? Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on that channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.

Thanks,

Mary

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@scotty2541 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Tashatoo
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have a similar problem. The Chosen app was working perfectly. Then the app automatically updated. Since then when I go to connect Roku I'm taken to a screen telling me to install VidAngel. I have VidAngel and can get The Chosen on it, but it skips and misses some conversation. The app support people say they are working on it, but it still does not work. Very annoying. I just want the app to work with Roku!

0 Kudos
FWBeekman
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for asking the question.  I am having the same issues.    I am glad it's not just me.   I have done everything they suggested as well. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @FWBeekman,

We appreciate your post.

Have you tried removing the channel and adding it back after you've restarted the device does not resolve the channel issue, I'd recommend reaching out to the channel support directly to report the issue and request additional support? Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on that channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.

Thanks,

Mary

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Palmerfamily
Level 7

Jump to solution

We are having the same issue. We can download the VidAngel app on our phones, but we can't sync this to Roku. We've typed in  VidAngel, VidAngel Studios, on Roku, but it reads there is no selection. We've followed the steps, but still can't get the VidAngel Studios on Roku. Of course - it's almost impossible to reach Roku to request assistance.

0 Kudos