Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JCK
Level 8

Using YouTube after Dec 9th

Jump to solution

I read if an agreement is not reached between Roku and Google by Dec 9th, YouTube will not be able to be added to new accounts. I have a Roku that already has YouTube on it. It states on the following page.

https://support.roku.com/article/360021586854

"If you use your existing Roku account, streaming channels you have added to the Roku devices already linked to your account will be downloaded and installed on the new device automatically."

If YouTube is removed and I buy a Roku after that and use the existing account on first device where it is already installed, will YouTube still be able to be downloaded and installed on the second device automatically since I downloaded it to a device before Dec 9th or does it not matter if you have it already installed on another device?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Using YouTube after Dec 9th

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We would recommend taking a look at our recent Youtube update post here: Update to our customers: We've agreed to a multi-year extension w/ Google for YouTube + YouTube TV

We will be closing this thread out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6\
Kieran449
Level 9

Jump to solution

I'd say 8% of my ROKU usage is Youtube.

If I have to start using my VIZO TV to watch Youtube, I'll probably end up using the TV APPS more than the ROKU.

0 Kudos
JCK
Level 8

Jump to solution

Anyone know the answer?

0 Kudos
ellen-l
Level 9

Jump to solution

I believe you are in the clear.  I read somewhere about this in the past.  I apologize for the vagueness but as I recall, the person said that their new Roku device downloaded the "unavailable" app from another Roku device on the network.  I am not familiar with Roku devices doing this so I can't be certain.

0 Kudos
JCK
Level 8

Jump to solution

Interesting, would be great if it works that way, I guess time will tell, thanks.

0 Kudos
ellen-l
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yeah me too.  Contrary to popular belief, theories are not fact.  I have never been in this situation and have never seen it myself so for me it stays in the Theory Camp.

I have a feeling that even if they don't come to terms by Dec 9th that they will in the near future. I am going to use that time to discover all the other content within the Roku-verse.  If it goes on for more than three months then I might start looking into how to get around this.

Good luck to you!

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We would recommend taking a look at our recent Youtube update post here: Update to our customers: We've agreed to a multi-year extension w/ Google for YouTube + YouTube TV

We will be closing this thread out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos