Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SML1

Using Roku subscriptions on non-Roku devices like Fire TV Stick

I have 3 Roku Ultra's and 1 Amazon Fire TV stick.  If I have a subscription to FrndlyTV or other is there a way I can get FrndlyTV on the Fire Stick?

9 REPLIES 9
SML1

Re: Using Roku subscriptions on non-Roku devices like Fire TV Stick

Guess I must buy Frndly TV outside of Roku so I can use it on my Roku devices and my Fire TV Stick also?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@SML1 

Thanks for the inquiry.

If you have a subscription through a channel provider, you should be able to use other devices to watch their content as well, as long as the channel provider supports those devices.

For more information about that a channel's functionality and supported devices, you'll want to contact the channel's support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jpershke

Danny, I bought starz thru Roku and can only get to it on Roku app not starz account....so since no Roku cannel on fire stick am stuck watching on computer. Unless a solution, I'm cancelling thru Roku and going to starz directly. 

19Moose59

I thought that would be the case but how do I login on other devices? I've tried my Roku login information and the doesn't work. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@19Moose59, you thought "what" was the case?  If you read Danny's post he's saying if you subscribe through the channel provider you should be able to use your subscription on any device. In general, if you subscribe through Roku you can only use it on a Roku device.  I believe there are exceptions, but it's up to the channel provider to somehow link your Roku subscription to their service so that it can be used anywhere.  No channel provider has access to anything other than your email address, so using your Roku credentials to log in somewhere else should never work.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Rychjo

So… why would I subscribe to a service through roku?  Is there some advantage I’m missing?  Thanks

renojim

@Rychjo, about the only advantages I can come up with are that all your streaming billing/subscriptions are in one place (which some prefer; makes them easier to manage) and when you add or replace a Roku on your Roku account all your subscriptions are ready to go without having to log in within each channel/app.

Personally, I feel the disadvantages outweigh the advantages, but some may disagree.

0 Kudos
Donobaby

Same happened to me. I purchased AMC+ through my RokuTV and now cannot log in anywhere else (ie amcplus.com, my Xbox, or even the iPhone AMC app). I'll be canceling and sticking with subscribing to streaming services directly. 

renojim

In general, if you subscribe to something through Roku you can only use it on a Roku device.  There are exceptions.  Peacock is one of them; there's probably others.  It's really up to the provider, but given that Roku gets a hefty chunk of that subscription money you can't blame a provider for putting restrictions on where it can be used.

0 Kudos