Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frjeff
Level 7

Using Roku in My RV

I use two Roku devices in my home and also have a Roku Smart TV in my RV.

Presuming I have sufficient wifi bandwidth (or iPhone Hotspot), am I able to use my streaming services (HULU) when away from home on the Smart TV in RV? If so, do I need to notify Roku and/or Hulu?

Somewhere I read that I would be better off to simply cast from my Hulu app on the tablet to the TV. 

Any help is much appreciated.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Using Roku in My RV

"Frjeff" wrote:
I use two Roku devices in my home and also have a Roku Smart TV in my RV.

Presuming I have sufficient wifi bandwidth (or iPhone Hotspot), am I able to use my streaming services (HULU) when away from home on the Smart TV in RV?

It should generally work. The only issue would be some services, particularly those that offer live content (DirecTV Now, etc) limit you to your location. That is, generally you can't take it with you. Standard Hulu isn't like that, but Hulu With Live TV is. Sling TV isn't like that, but DirecTV Now, PlayStation Vue, and others are.
"Frjeff" wrote:
If so, do I need to notify Roku and/or Hulu?

No. Some will allow you to change your location, but those are considered permanent changes, and you can only do this a very few times.
"Frjeff" wrote:
Somewhere I read that I would be better off to simply cast from my Hulu app on the tablet to the TV. ...

Couple of things going on here. First, if you can watch the content via your smartphone or tablet, then you can probably watch the same content on your Roku at the same location, especially since I read you to say you'd be using your smartphone hotspot or something similar.

Next thing is that there are really two types of things that are called "casting." One is straightforward what you'd think. That is, your mobile device is streaming the content, then restreaming it to your Roku. However, many apps only use the mobile device to initiate the Roku app while maintaining remote control. For example, if you were to "cast" YouTube from your iPhone to your Roku, what's actually happening is that your iPhone is simply telling Roku to launch YouTube (notice on the screen you get the YouTube splash screen), then it's telling the Roku app to launch that same video and go to that same point in the video. At the same time, it stops the video on your iPhone. It also maintains a connection to the iPhone for the purpose of allowing it to act as a remote control.

To confirm this, actually do it. Pick a long video to test this, several minutes long. Once your Roku is playing the video, grab your Roku remote and pause or rewind the video. See? Your remote isn't controlling the phone, but the Roku. To further confirm, shut your phone down. Really. The Roku will keep playing.

So, some "casting" is actually casting content from the phone, and some "casting" is actually using the phone to launch and control an app. More use the latter than you might realize.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Frjeff
Level 7

DBDukes - Thank you.
Hulu Live TV allows you to change “home” location four times per year, so that would work for my only two changes annually.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

Also keep an eye on your data plan.  Video will burn through it quick unless you have an "unlimited" plan of some kind.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"twiceover" wrote:
Also keep an eye on your data plan.  Video will burn through it quick unless you have an "unlimited" plan of some kind.

Also, many carriers are throttling hotspots on unlimited plans. So, how well it works for powering a Roku may vary depending on your carrier. Even those that don't throttle all the time, will throttle after around 20-22 GB in the month is used. Some, but not all, apps allow you to restrict bandwidth. Netflix, for instance, does it by profile. And some don't have a setting. So, take twiceover's warning very seriously.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 10

I have a second roku in my fifth wheel. If I get a good network it works great. Granted I'm not using hulu so can't speak to that, but netflex works fine.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos