Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgt1942
Level 8

Update apps

I frequently see a pop-up that last a few seconds stating that some apps have updates. How do I update whatever needs updating. I've looked in the settings and tried the update that I found there but this is for the Roku system, not the apps. In the pop-up I see a half arrow circle and an X. The pop-up disappears very quickly.

Is there an auto setting that will automatically update anything that needs updating?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: Update apps

Its likely thats another device (such as an LG TV) telling you app updates are available.

Check your TV's apps/updates/notifications.

(e.g. If its a more recent year LG TV, press Home on the LG TV remote, select Notifications)

0 Kudos
Williamt100
Level 11

What you are describing is exactly what I see on my LG Smart TV to notify me that it has updates for its channels (not the ROKU).

In my case, I navigate to the LG "Home Screen" (using the LG TV remote), select" My Apps", and then "Updates".  It will then display those LG apps which have updates available, and then I can select "Update" for each of those LG apps.

YMMV depending upon your brand of smart tv.

Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@jgt1942 wrote:

I've looked in the settings and tried the update that I found there but this is for the Roku system, not the apps.

.. and by the way, forcing the Roku to do a manual update via menu path Settings > System > System update > Check now this will also check for channel app updates. 

I have found, however, when I've forced a major Roku system update (such as the recent update to Roku 10), that I have to do an additional manual update to get all the channels updated as well.  Doing this right after a major system update can prevent a LOT of channel problems.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking " Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos