Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WatsonSD
Level 8

Unwanted channels adding themselves to my Roku 3

How do I stop unwanted channels from adding themselves to my Roku 3? Every once in a while a channel I did not ask for suddenly shows up. I remove it, sometimes it comes back again.

Sometimes when I remove it, a channel I do want disappears along with it. Then I have to re-add the channel I want. Then go through the hassle of logging in that channel. It seems the Roku channel appears more often than any other, but it's not the only one. Lately it has been Vevo. When I removed it yesterday, my Prime Video channel vanished. Today Vevo came back again. I'm tired of putting up with this **bleep** & want to know how to stop it. I tried to submit a support ticket but was told I can't. 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unwanted channels adding themselves to my Roku 3

Any channel added/removed from one Roku gets added/removed from all Rokus linked to the same account.  What's the email address that shows under Settings->System->About?  Is it yours?  Did you fall for some scam when you first activated your Roku whereby your Roku could be linked to someone else's account or someone else could be linked to your account?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
WatsonSD
Level 8

I worked in IT for 30 yrs. I know how Roku works. I've had several devices for several years. I am an experienced and advanced user. I did NOT fall for some scam. 

While I was watching Roku this evening, 2 new channels suddenly appeared on my device. When I removed them, both Netflix and Prime Video both disappeared with them. I had to re-add both. Netflix, requires that you login using the up-down-left-right arrows which is a MAJOR pain and takes forever. I am so fed up with Roku, I'm about ready to throw 3 of them in the trash and get a competitor instead. They offer no support and won't fix this B.S.

rawlsrules
Level 8

This has been going on with me for quite literally months. Repeated e-mail attempts for help from roku have been met with almost rude responses that are never helpful.

I have two devices.

First, adding or subtracting to the problem device is NOT always duplicated on the other device. I have told them this and remarkably they simply respond by telling me that any changes made to one are always reflected on the other. Why would I make this up?

Second, I have followed all of their suggestions including now getting another e-mail account to reset the problem roku. I asked for telephone help because they offered at one point, and because I have no idea really how to interpret the varied instructions they give me. Their response to that had NOTHING to do with my request.

Is there anyone who has had this problem and fixed it?

Is there anyone who has found someone competent at roku who is willing to take some responsibility for their own system?

I am not sure how this forum works. How will I know if anyone sees this and responds?

Thank you to the ethers.

0 Kudos
WatsonSD
Level 8

So far, the issue seems to be fixed by requiring a code in order to add any channel. Even though I confirmed that the two Roku boxes we are using are on my account and I know that no one else has access to this account, I was still having trouble. Ever since I changed the setting requiring a 4 digit code in order to add a channel, the problem has not happened again. Give that a try.

0 Kudos
rawlsrules
Level 8

That did not work for me.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@rawlsrules, are you sure both devices are linked to the same Roku account?  On each Roku check the email address that's shown under Settings->System->About.  Channels will be added/removed from all Rokus linked to the same account.  If you add a channel to one Roku and it doesn't show up on the other (may take a while to happen unless you check for updates) it's because one Roku supports the channel and the other doesn't.  Not all Rokus support all channels.  This is especially true for older Rokus.  If you're getting channels mysteriously added it's most likely because you're using one of the screensavers that advertises channels.  Never use Play/Pause or OK/Select to dismiss a screensaver.  The only other reason channels can get added is because there's a Roku linked to your account that you're not aware of.  Check your linked devices at https://my.roku.com .

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos