Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
english1a

Can't uninstall HBO Max app

I realize many people are having trouble with HBO Max, but I do not even have an option to uninstall. I can uninstall every other channel. I restarted the Roku and even did a factory reset. I have logged out of every device. Like others, HBOMax crashes every time I open it. Are others having issues with the uninstall as well? Any suggestions? Also, I am having a terrible time finding a way to get support from Roku. Am I missing something there?

21 REPLIES 21
rjcmt720

HBO Not working

Hello all, I just purchased Roku Premiere | HD/4K/HDR Streaming Media Player, Simple Remote and Premium HDMI Cable.    I'm trying to set up my HBO but I'm running into a problem.  When I select the channel I get the blue loading dots at the bottom then the screen goes black and nothing happens.  I have tried to uninstall the channel then reinstall it.  I have tired to restart roku.  I have even tried to uninstall, restart and then reinstall the channel.  None of this is working.   Anyone have any thoughts?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: HBO Not working

@rjcmt720 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What HBO channel are you trying access?

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to the channel provider directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on that channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can't uninstall HBO Max app

Did you subscribe to HBO Max via Roku?

I've never subscribed to anything through Roku, but I've read that you can't uninstall a channel while you have an active Roku subscription to it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
christopherowen
Channel Surfer

Uninstall HBO Max App to Reinstall with New UserID/Profile

How can I uninstall the HBO Max App in Roku Streaming Stick+ so that I can reinstall it and enter a different User ID. I have added HBOMax to my Xfinity Package and want to delete the old one and add a new one. When I REMOVE it and add it again, it comes up with my old ID.

Sorry if I am posting this question in the wrong place. If so, can someone lead me to another source that might be able to answer this? 

0 Kudos
christopherowen
Channel Surfer

Re: Uninstall HBO Max App to Reinstall with New UserID/Profile

I found the answer to my question:

https://help.hbomax.com/Answer/Detail/2344

0 Kudos
jmccr1

that is not true. only hbo max has no un still option when the star key is activated. i have several subscriptions and every other one (e.g. disney, starz) has a 'remove' option but hbo max. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jmccr1,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

I understand that you are unable to uninstall HBO Max on your Roku device. 

If you are trying to remove a channel, first determine if the channel has a subscription and whether that subscription is billed to your Roku account.

1. Go to my.roku.com on your computer or smartphone
  2. If prompted, sign in to your Roku account.
  3. Select Manage Your Subscriptions.

If the channel you want to remove is listed on this page, the subscription must first be canceled before the channel can be removed from your Roku device.

• Notes:

• If a subscription is canceled before the end of the billing cycle, you can continue to access the channel until the current billing cycle ends.
    • Channels cannot be removed at Roku.com.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: How do I remove channels from my Roku® streaming device? | Official Roku Support

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Kind regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
wonderbow

Same here.  I just want to re-install the app.... I do not think I should need to cancel my subscription just to delete/reinstall the app.  

When it works, it is terribly sluggish... Most of the time, though, it kicks me back to the Home Screen shortly after opening.  If I finally get to my show due to some miracle, it kicks me back out randomly.  

I know we should contact HBO for support of their app.  But this is a ROKU issue - not being able to reinstall an app.  I do not want to do a factory reset and have to set the entire thing back up again.

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @wonderbow

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Please be advised that the only option to remove a channel is by canceling the subscription first. No worries, as long as you're within the billing cycle of your HBO Max membership, you won't be charged again upon resubscribing to the channel. 

Make sure as well to restart your Roku device before adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful.

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos