Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Quandry
Reel Rookie

Unable to watch Roku Channel

We sometimes watch shows on the Roku Channel, and have had no problem doing so. However, we recently went to watch a show on the Roku Channel and when we choose it from the screen and hit the Select button on our Roku stick, nothing happens. The screen just returns to the icons of the channels to select from. We changed the batteries on the Roku stick, and that didn't make a difference. In the meantime, the Roku stick works fine for everything else (Netflix, etc.). As best we can tell, this is only a problem when we want to watch the Roku Channel.

We have another TV in our house with a different Roku stick and we can choose the Roku Channel without any trouble on that TV.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Z06
Roku Guru

Re: Unable to watch Roku Channel

You mean you changed the batteries in the remote. Which Roku model do you have? Is it happening on all shows in the Roku Channel ? All movies? Have you tried removing the channel, restarting your Roku and re adding the channel?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Quandry

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

In some cases, removing the affected channel and then reinstalling it may help. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Quandry
Reel Rookie

We have a Roku Express. It's got nothing to do with whether we watch movies or shows. We can't get the Roku Channel to open once we select it from the menu of channels. At first glance, it doesn't look like you can remove the Roku Channel while using a Roku remote.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Quandry 

Using your Roku Remote, highlight the Roku Channel and then press the * button.  This should bring up a Channels options menu which should include "Remove Channel". 

As with removing any Channel/app from a Roku device, remember to Remove Channel, System Restart the Roku device to clear cache, then Reinstall the Channel.

Whenever I experience an intermittent problem with the Roku Channel, I find a Router restart/reboot will often help.

Feel free to post an update or if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102