Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lgb0250
Level 7

Unable to turn off notifications?

Trying to turn these off.  I have a 3800X Stick and cannot find anything in the settings that relates to notifications. Have found directions how to do it on mobile apps but nothing for my Stick. 
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Unable to turn off notifications?

What notifications are you talking about? Is something popping up on your Roku screen? Give an example.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"Lgb0250" wrote:
Trying to turn these off.  I have a 3800X Stick and cannot find anything in the settings that relates to notifications. Have found directions how to do it on mobile apps but nothing for my Stick. 

Are you referring to notifications that can pop up on screen suggesting other ways to view content that is currently streaming? If so, you can turn this OFF in the Roku Menu under SETTINGS -- PRIVACY -- SMART TV EXPERIENCE. There are two options that you can disable: USE INFO FROM TV INPUTS and ENABLE AUTO NOTIFICATIONS. You can disable the AUTO NOTIFICATIONS and you should no longer see the pop-up at the bottom of the screen suggesting other ways to view currently streaming content.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"blade_005" wrote:
"Lgb0250" wrote:

Are you referring to notifications that can pop up on screen suggesting other ways to view content that is currently streaming? If so, you can turn this OFF in the Roku Menu under SETTINGS -- PRIVACY -- SMART TV EXPERIENCE. There are two options that you can disable: USE INFO FROM TV INPUTS and ENABLE AUTO NOTIFICATIONS. You can disable the AUTO NOTIFICATIONS and you should no longer see the pop-up at the bottom of the screen suggesting other ways to view currently streaming content.

Is this a setting that is peculiar to Roku TV devices? I'm seeing no such setting on the Roku boxes or Sticks (OP has a Stick).
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"Basil" wrote:
"blade_005" wrote:
"Lgb0250" wrote:

Is this a setting that is peculiar to Roku TV devices? I'm seeing no such setting on the Roku boxes or Sticks (OP has a Stick).

That is possible. My experience is with a Roku-enabled TV. These pop-ups, if enabled, will show up if you are viewing OTA channels and the content is also available on a streaming app. But, the menu description seems to indicate that this is used for HDMI inputs as well, not just OTA channels. My apologies if this is a Roku TV option only. Guess the original poster will need to reply with specifics on what notifications they wish to turn off.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"blade_005" wrote:
That is possible. My experience is with a Roku-enabled TV. These pop-ups, if enabled, will show up if you are viewing OTA channels and the content is also available on a streaming app. But, the menu description seems to indicate that this is used for HDMI inputs as well, not just OTA channels. My apologies if this is a Roku TV option only. Guess the original poster will need to reply with specifics on what notifications they wish to turn off.

Though it might not apply in this particular case, it's still a good thing to be aware of. Others with Roku TV might have a similar question. I've never worked with a Roku TV, so your experience in that line of devices is unknown to me, but good to know. I appreciate the chance to expand my knowledge into that unknown (to me) corner of the Roku universe.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
Lgb0250
Level 7

All day long I’ve been getting an on again and off again scrolling banner telling me that GameFly is going away and I could continue to use it through August Only. Well, since I don’t use GameFly I assumed that this was a system wide notification. Have had it on both Oxygen and BBC America so far.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"Lgb0250" wrote:
All day long I’ve been getting an on again and off again scrolling banner telling me that GameFly is going away and I could continue to use it through August Only. Well, since I don’t use GameFly I assumed that this was a system wide notification. Have had it on both Oxygen and BBC America so far.

Oh. I know there has been an announcement that Gamefly would be shutting down its streaming service at the end of the month.

If this is something that is streaming as an overlay banner on the Oxygen and BBC America stream, I don't think there is anything in Roku's menu settings that would turn this off. That is the broadcasters choice to allow that overlay over the video stream.
0 Kudos
Lgb0250
Level 7

"blade_005" wrote:
"Lgb0250" wrote:

Oh. I know there has been an announcement that Gamefly would be shutting down its streaming service at the end of the month.

If this is something that is streaming as an overlay banner on the Oxygen and BBC America stream, I don't think there is anything in Roku's menu settings that would turn this off. That is the broadcasters choice to allow that overlay over the video stream.

Today I keep getting this gamefly announcement while watching a DVR’d show from 7/3/18 on my Tablo. The even was recorded on Comet tv. Pretty sure this is something that Roku is doing.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"Lgb0250" wrote:
"blade_005" wrote:
"Lgb0250" wrote:

Today I keep getting this gamefly announcement while watching a DVR’d show from 7/3/18 on my Tablo. The even was recorded on Comet tv. Pretty sure this is something that Roku is doing.

Roku doesn't record the shows. If it's on the recording, it came from the source that way.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos