Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elbyj
Channel Surfer

Unable to select movie/show on HBO Max

Jump to solution

For the past week we have been unable continuously being able to select a movie/show on HBO Max.  Using the Roku remote we are able to select HBO Max from the main screen and most of the time successfully select our user on the screen.  However, once we are in the app, we only have up/down/right/left using the Roku remote.  We are unable to select a movie/show to get it to open.  Can't even exit correctly as we have to use "Back to Home" button.  Recently I was able to reboot the Roku and it fixed it, but today it didn't.  I also verified the HBO Max app was updated.   Any suggestions????  thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unable to select movie/show on HBO Max

Jump to solution

@elbyj 

It seems by your description that two things could be going on. One would be an issue with the HBO Max app, and the other would be an issue with the Roku remote.

Rebooting the Roku actually points to the app, as a device reboot impacts the remote not at all. Likewise, the fact that you've said nothing about issues on other apps, all points to the HBO Max app.

Try reinstalling the HBO Max app. There is a correct way to do that:

1. Remove the app
  2. Reboot the Roku
  3. Reinstall the app

All three steps, in that order. Missing a step, or the steps in any other order won't clear out stray data from the app properly.

If that doesn't resolve, try to force an update on the HBO Max app. Highlight the app, press the Options button, and select the Update option. If it performs an update, repeat the process until it doesn't perform an update. It is rare, but sometimes multiple updates can apply one after the other.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@elbyj 

It seems by your description that two things could be going on. One would be an issue with the HBO Max app, and the other would be an issue with the Roku remote.

Rebooting the Roku actually points to the app, as a device reboot impacts the remote not at all. Likewise, the fact that you've said nothing about issues on other apps, all points to the HBO Max app.

Try reinstalling the HBO Max app. There is a correct way to do that:

1. Remove the app
  2. Reboot the Roku
  3. Reinstall the app

All three steps, in that order. Missing a step, or the steps in any other order won't clear out stray data from the app properly.

If that doesn't resolve, try to force an update on the HBO Max app. Highlight the app, press the Options button, and select the Update option. If it performs an update, repeat the process until it doesn't perform an update. It is rare, but sometimes multiple updates can apply one after the other.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
elbyj
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks!  I will give it a try.   In answer to your question -- HBO Max is the only app giving us fits!!!

0 Kudos