Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to find "late night" option in Haystack news with Roku Streaming Stick+

Jump to solution

I recently purchased Roku Streaming Stick+ | HD/4K/HDR Streaming Device, downloaded Haystack News and purchased a monthly subscription w/o adds.

I am unable to find the option “late night” to add to my choices. Previously I used an Amazon Firestick and was able to add “late night” to my Haystack options.

Can you offer a fix, so that the “late night” option will be available to choose as a favorite? Or instruct me how to find it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Level 21

Re: Unable to find "late night" option in Haystack news with Roku Streaming Stick+

Jump to solution

You have to contact whomever offers that channel. Roku does not develop or provide support for 3rd party channels. I checked the channel store, and that channel is provided by Haystack themselves. https://www.haystack.tv/

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Level 21

Re: Unable to find "late night" option in Haystack news with Roku Streaming Stick+

Jump to solution

You have to contact whomever offers that channel. Roku does not develop or provide support for 3rd party channels. I checked the channel store, and that channel is provided by Haystack themselves. https://www.haystack.tv/

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response, Dan, and for offering information to solve my issue. It raises questions for me about how to better clarify my question. It's not a channel I am looking for, but a Headline Favorite titled "late night shows." It appears on the Haystack app on my Android phone and was also an option to choose in the Haystack App on my Amazon Fire Stick which I replaced with the Roku Streaming Stick+ because it had the Xfinity Streaming App whereas the Fire Stick did not. Since using the app on Roku I can no longer find the option to add "#late night shows" from Settings as I did on the Haystack app on my 4k Firestick. 

I know this is not the greatest problem in the world, but if you have an answer to this, I would appreciate it. 

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

@christopherowen wrote:

Thanks for the response, Dan, and for offering information to solve my issue. It raises questions for me about how to better clarify my question. It's not a channel I am looking for, but a Headline Favorite titled "late night shows." It appears on the Haystack app on my Android phone and was also an option to choose in the Haystack App on my Amazon Fire Stick which I replaced with the Roku Streaming Stick+ because it had the Xfinity Streaming App whereas the Fire Stick did not. Since using the app on Roku I can no longer find the option to add "#late night shows" from Settings as I did on the Haystack app on my 4k Firestick. 

I know this is not the greatest problem in the world, but if you have an answer to this, I would appreciate it. 

OK. So the Roku version of their app is lacking something available on other platforms. Not the first time this has occurred, and likely not the last. I'm afraid the only thing that can be done is to contact Haystack and ask them why their app on one platform differs from other platforms. They are the only ones that can offer the actual reason. It's possible the programming language used on Roku devices doesn't support it, although I would have my doubts that is the case. But chances are they have different developers for each platform, and this might be a feature that was overlooked by the team that developed the Roku version.

Dan
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks Dan. Really appreciate your feedback. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Dan. I followed your advice. If interested, here is Haystack's reply:

Due to technical limitations on Roku we are not able to play YouTube videos on that platform, only content that we have direct distribution deals with the content provider. We're going to be adding a lot more content partners in the coming months so you should see that gap filled. If there are specific sources you miss a lot on Roku let us know as it helps us prioritize.

Do you know anything about Roku's "technical limitations" that could be improved?

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

@christopherowen wrote:

Dan. I followed your advice. If interested, here is Haystack's reply:

Due to technical limitations on Roku we are not able to play YouTube videos on that platform, only content that we have direct distribution deals with the content provider. We're going to be adding a lot more content partners in the coming months so you should see that gap filled. If there are specific sources you miss a lot on Roku let us know as it helps us prioritize.

Do you know anything about Roku's "technical limitations" that could be improved?

I have no idea what they're talking about. YouTube has a channel on Roku devices that works quite well, so it's not that a Roku can't play YouTube videos. Why they can't make their channel play YT videos within their channel, I can't say. I know nothing about the programming language Roku devices use. 

Dan
0 Kudos