Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zoezoe12
Channel Surfer

Unable to exit Showtime app on roku

Suddenly I'm unable to exit Showtime.  I hit the back arrow on the remote but it does not respond and the only way to exit Showtime is to reboot the roku unit.  Does anyone know why this is happening? 

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

Re: Unable to exit Showtime app on roku

You don’t press the back arrow to exit a channel (app). You press the home button on your remote

0 Kudos
zoezoe12
Channel Surfer

I have always hit the back arrow on the remote to get back to the home screen perhaps what you are calling the home button is what I am calling the back arrow. When I am in Showtime on the upper right it shows to exit the app to hit the <- which is what I have been doing for the past several years.  This started last week. I am only able to exit the app by rebooting the roku unit or selecting another app on the bottom of the remote i.e hulu, apple tv, netflix, or disney+

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Is this only happening on Showtime?  If so I would uninstall the app, restart the Roku device, and reinstall the Showtime app.  May not work but worth a try.

0 Kudos
zoezoe12
Channel Surfer

Hi yes only on Showtime.  It started last week.  I have always been able to exit from Showtime using the back arrow but now it doesn't work. I already tried removing Showtime, adding it back in, and have rebooted several times. Still won't exit.  I have the same issue on all the Roku units that I have which is 3.

0 Kudos
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

I’m not sure how long you’ve been using Roku. But to exit any channel you are watching you don’t press the back arrow. How are you watching Showtime using the Showtime channel? If I’m watching Netflix and I want to go back to the home screen I simply press the home button not the back arrow button. 

0 Kudos
zoezoe12
Channel Surfer

I have been using Roku for several years and to exit an app I have always hit the <- button on the remote.  Maybe what you are calling the home button is what I call the back arrow.  This just started happening last week.  I have been able to exit the app using the <- on the remote

0 Kudos
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

The home button has a picture of a home on it. That’s what you press to exit a channel. The back arrow has different functions depending upon which channel you were watching. Most of the time it’s to go back to the previous screens within the channel. Such as if you’re watching Netflix anyone switch movies within Netflix. You press the back arrow and it will go back to the main screen of Netflix. But if you press the home button it’ll exit out of Netflix completely and bring you back to your Roku Home Screen. You can do as you described but it takes several back arrow button presses. If you simply press the home button it’ll bring you right to your home screen in one shot

0 Kudos
zoezoe12
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the info.  Yes it does take a few times hitting the button to get back to the home screen.  I have always done that and been able to exit Showtime but that no longer works.  I will just have to get used to hitting the home button and forget about the back arrow.  

0 Kudos
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

You’ve been doing it all wrong for all these years unfortunately. The home button is how you exit channels. The back arrow has various functions depending on which channel you are watching. The way you were doing it is your address pressing back and back and back and back until you get to the Home Screen. The back arrow is designed to go back to the previous screen from within a channel. You can also use it to go back when you’re inside the settings in your Roku. So try this. Open up Showtime or any other channel. Press the home button. within seconds you’ll be at your Home Screen. Instead of pressing back arrow three or four times

0 Kudos