Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QueenElvis
Reel Rookie

Unable to delete any channel from home screen

Jump to solution

Have a TCL Roku TV. Supposedly has the latest update installed. We have several subscription channels on the Home screen. About a week ago, some of them stopped working: we can navigate within the channel (Disney+, for example) and see available content, but when we attempt to play the content, we either get an odd message (something like "content license error" in the case of Disney+), or else the content just won't play. Other channels, like Netflix and Amazon Prime, are fine.

I was going to attempt to delete and re-add the problematic channels, but when I select the channel, then press the * button, the TV displays a message "Not connected to the Internet". Which isn't true. As noted, other subscription channels play just fine. I've even reconnected to our home network to ensure the TV really is connected, and doing a connection check via the TV menus confirms it's connected.

So the option to remove ANY channel from the home screen does not work (I've even tried removing the Roku Media Player, which we installed for viewing photos). I've also tried using the Roku app on my phone but get the same result.

Anything else I can try besides performing a factory reset on the TV?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
QueenElvis
Reel Rookie

Re: Unable to delete any channel from Home screen

Jump to solution

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. Unfortunately none of them worked. End result was the same set of symptoms I described in my initial post. One additional bit of info I didn't include in the original post was the TV type and model: it's a TCL Roku TV, model 55S535.

The thing that worked was to do a full factory reset. A bit of a pain in the arse to have to manually re-add all the subscription channels one-by-one, but that's what we had to do. Working fine now for the past couple days. Hoping this doesn't happen again any time soon; we've had the TV less than a year.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You say you have subscription channels. That brings up a question. Are you subscribing to the apps through Roku Pay, or are you subscribing directly. That's important. 

Roku won't let you remove an app if you have a subscription to that app via Roku. For example, if you are subscribe to Netflix via Roku Pay (through Roku) then you can't remove the app while you have an active subscription. However, if you subscribe directly to Netflix, that is not through Roku but by going to Netflix Website and subscribing there, then you can remove the app.

Might this be part of your problem?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
QueenElvis
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. We are subscribing directly to the various channels and NOT subscribing through Roku Pay.

0 Kudos
demsd
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You would think you'd have the option of removing it via the channel store. Having just looked, seems Roku never thought it a good idea.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

If you can't add and/or remove a channel it's because your Roku is having trouble connecting to the channel store server.  Sometimes there's a glitch on Roku's end that resolves itself after some time.  I don't think any of that would affect your subscriptions that aren't through Roku, but it does point to some kind of Internet issue.  Can you connect your TV to your phone's hotspot just to see if the Remove option appears?

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@QueenElvis 
1)  You didnt mention your Roku TV model # or firmware version:  Settings/System/About    ("latest update" is meaningless because Roku uses model-specific versions/builds and staggered releases/rollouts)

2) Check for updates:  Settings/System/System update/Check now - try again

3) Restart your Roku TV:  Settings/System/Power/System restart/Restart - try again

4) Reset your network settings:  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Network connection reset - try again

5) Unplug your Roku TV from AC power for 5-10 minutes, replug - try again

0 Kudos
QueenElvis
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. Unfortunately none of them worked. End result was the same set of symptoms I described in my initial post. One additional bit of info I didn't include in the original post was the TV type and model: it's a TCL Roku TV, model 55S535.

The thing that worked was to do a full factory reset. A bit of a pain in the arse to have to manually re-add all the subscription channels one-by-one, but that's what we had to do. Working fine now for the past couple days. Hoping this doesn't happen again any time soon; we've had the TV less than a year.

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@QueenElvis 

Thanks for posting back the solution that worked for you.  Always appreciated!

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

clr

Jump to solution

I need to remove channels and I've tried everything! It says to highlight the channel and then push the star for the options button and push remove but,the problem is the option button isn't working it not lighting up but I've been pushing it still and get nothing so I can't get to the remove button help?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@clr 

I'm reading that when you highlight the app in question (which app, by the way?), the Options indicator at the top right of the Home screen does not highlight but remains grayed out. Is my understanding correct?

If so, it seems your remote has a problem. You could use the Roku app as a remote to use the Options button as a workaround for now.

If my understanding is not correct, restate what happens when you highlight the app.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos