Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HpE
Level 8

Re: Unable to add certain channels why is this?

Finland, so Northern Europe.

I bought the device from Amazon and your store page there had blasted all these ads about Amazon prime, Netflix, HBO etc. All over it. How was I supposed to know to come to your web page, go to community support and check IF the ads hold any ground. There are literally netflix and apple TV available. No HBO, prime, paramount or anything else.

Pure garbage if you ask me. Going to buy something else to replace this one, this is useless.

MilesT
Level 14

@HpE 

Clearly sloppy marketing on Roku's part, but exactly which Amazon website did you buy the Roku from?

The product features listed on the website/packaginv may be correct in the context of the intended target country of the Amazon website you used, which might not be Finland.

Could Roku work with Amazon to do a better job in such cases? Clearly yes.

But generally: International purchases: buyer beware.  If I bought a car in Northern Europe to drive in the UK, clearly I wouldn't have grounds for complaint that the steering wheel is on the wrong side for UK and the headlights need reaiming/replacing.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
HpE
Level 8

It was from Amazon Germany, as there isn't a dedicated one for Finland. Buying electronics from another EU country, especially a product that says its an EU version, really wouldn't make me question if it works within EU or not. I'd understand your point if it was from the US, Asian region or some other, not EU. It's not sloppy, it's shady. There weren't any mentions about "please check the channels that work in your country IN OUR DEVICE by doing this:" in there. I'd understand this if the services weren't generally available here, which obviously isn't the case. But seriously, who buys a streaming device to stream just 2 of the most popular services? Your example doesn't really compare.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

It very clearly states on the box of the Streaming Stick 4k+ I recently got, "Channels can change, vary by country, and may require payment".  There's also a link on the box:  https://www.roku.com/channelchecker .

I have to admit, if I was in the EU I'd expect one policy for the whole region, but that's just not the way Roku does things.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
MilesT
Level 14

@renojim 

EU is not like the US (not least diversity of languages). 

Media rights are country based, not EU wide. Hence channels on Roku are often limited by country. Other streaming services do this too.

Satellite systems try to enforce this too, the receiver boxes "phone home" to geolocate (not entirely successfully), and also the spot beams are targeted at a sub-EU level.

DVD/Bluray is the major exception, all of Europe is in one region, although many players these days can be region unlocked for free.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
HpE
Level 8

With any other device, that means that the service might not be available in my country, not that the software part can't be installed. The mentioned services are in fact available here, and I can watch them through a browser, my TV, Chromecast and any other device that I own.

And I did not have the box in my hand when I ordered it, as clearly I bought it online and the info I had was what Roku placed in the Amazon page, so no links for me. This has been the first device with such problems for me, I only bought it since it had good reviews and it has 4k video available.

0 Kudos
MilesT
Level 14

Roku chooses to allow channel app publishers (media companies) to enforce country limits earlier in the "journey", rather than serving up an app with limited/no content. (For example, YouTube sometimes says " video not available in your country).

If the media company chooses to have different experience across different devices in same country, well that's not a great customer experience. Ultimately media company configures roku app publishing per country.

Roku not officially available across all of Europe. Is available in UK and Germany, hence product detail pages and box photos/box packaging gives the right promise in those countries, but not Finland (or Ireland, which also gets a poor Roku experience).

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
HpE
Level 8

Well, maybe say THAT in the shop page, not some BS about "services and channels might vary by country". For me, it only shows that Roku doesn't actually care about the customers experience, as long as they sell their products. It's a shame really, I really wanted to have something else, but I guess I'll just have to go with one of the bigger brands. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I think it's safe to say Roku doesn't care about customers in regions they don't support.  If they did, they'd support those regions.  Which is not to say that they care so much about customers in regions they do support.  My personal feeling is that they only care about the bottom line and how it affects their stock price, but I could say that about just about every company these days.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.