Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nathan1234
Level 8

Unable to add certain channels why is this?

Hi

I recently purchased a Roku Express 4K and live in South Korea. I am unable to add certain channels such as Amazon Prime and Disney Plus both of which I had subscriptions for, can anyone explain why this is? I invested in the Roku device as an upgrade on an old firestick which allows me to view both Amazon Prime and Disney plus. 

18 REPLIES 18\
MilesT
Level 14

Re: Unable to add certain channels why is this?

Some channels are region locked and Roku channel store enforces the wishes if the channel publishers, intentionally or otherwise.

If the channel store detects you are in a country where the channel is not enabled, then no install. Also happens based on country selected/detected when you created Roku account (can't be changed, start again with new email or delete/recreate exiting account, losing any subscriptions)

Also, older Roku devices don't support all channels.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
Nathan1234
Level 8

Thank you. However, this doesn't make sense as I could use those channels on on out of date firestick without a VPN for both Disneyplus and Amazon Prime, also Disney plus is now fully available in South Korea. 

MilesT
Level 14

Roku applies different rules to Amazon, but ultimately it is the choice of e.g. Disney. May not make sense, take it up with Disney (likely to be as effective as talking to a concrete wall, though).

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
Nathan1234
Level 8

Thank you again, just seems like I've wasted money on my Roku device then.

Strega
Level 17

Before buying a Roku, you can go to the channel store

https://channelstore.roku.com

and make sure the channel store is set for your country (see the country selection in the lower right corner) and check the channels you care about.  If your country isn't in the list of countries you can select from (as yours is not) then you shouldn't expect too much. You might still get lucky and find a few amusements, but it's best to start with the assumption that you won't find much.

jamesfitzgerald
Level 7

I have this same problem in Australia.

I have 2 existing Roku devices which have access to amazon prime, however the new streaming Stick 4k that i received is NOT able to access amazon prime. Pretty frustrating and disappointing.

RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi @jamesfitzgerald,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

You'll want to contact that channel/service provider directly for more information about their service availability on the Roku platform. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
HpE
Level 8

This is total bs. I bought Roku Express 4k since it advertised Netflix, HBO, prime etc. All I can find is Netflix and Apple TV, rest is total garbage. I haven't seen a more useless device ever. 

Don't false advertise, if you can't deliver.

First and last Roku device for me, I can't recommend this to anyone.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi @HpE

Thanks for posting here in the Community!

Could you tell us what region you are located? Please be advised that any Roku Player or TV can be activated to any Roku account, however, channel availability/access will vary from region to region. Channels that are currently available in any given region are certified for the Roku devices sold in that region.

For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about which Roku devices they support their channel (app) on in your current region.

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos