Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johann27
Reel Rookie

Unable to access ESPN through Roku

I am unable to access ESPN through Roku.  It worked fine until about three (3) weeks ago.  I have removed the ESPN channel, restarted the Roku through Settings, added ESPN and the same message appears, "Unable to access content at this time. Please try again later."  But I am able to access ESPN through my cable box!  I reached out to my cable provider and I was told that it all looks well from their end (the channel is accessible on the cable box).  I reached out to ESPN and was told that there is a known glitch with Roku accessing ESPN content for some customers and that Roku is addressing the problem.  This was eight (8) days ago.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unable to access ESPN through Roku

There has been a known issue over the last several weeks in which channels in the Disney family (like ESPN) are blocking Roku access for some users' IP numbers (i.e the access number assigned to you by your internet provider).  I don't know if they've fixed this yet.

Contact ESPN (or any other Disney owned channel) and ask them to make sure your IP is not being blocked.  If you don't know your IP it wouldn't hurt to arm yourself with this information before you contact them.  You can get this info from a website like whatismyipaddress.com.  Don't be surprised if the front line support people are unaware of this -- insist they check for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Johann27
Reel Rookie

Just got off the phone with ESPN Customer Service.  The representative did acknowledge a known issue with some ESPN subscribers not accessing content through Roku but was unable to confirm if my IP address was affected.  I provided my IP address and an IT ticket was created.  I was told that it will be expedited to the IT team within ESPN and that they would reach out to Roku to get this matter resolved.  Hopefully the IT Ticket reaches someone who can verify if my IP address is blocked and make the necessary change.

Thank you for the information; much appreciated.  I am hoping to post very soon that this matter has been resolved.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

I wish you luck. Keep us posted.
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Johann27
Reel Rookie

Update...ESPN did NOT help with this issue after 2 phone calls and 2 IT tickets being "escalated."  So I looked into changing the IP address on my own.  I powered off the modem and router overnight and it worked!  I now have a new IP address and ESPN is no longer blocked. 

So for everyone experiencing difficulty accessing ESPN (or other Disney channels) on Roku, unplug your modem and router (I did it overnight).  It worked for me 🙂

Thanks for the guidance and for the link to check my IP address...much appreciated

0 Kudos
SyraPhelan
Reel Rookie

Thanks, can’t wait to try this tonight. I can see Roku doesn’t care about it. A problem written about multiple times and it continues unaddressed. I hope it doesn’t ask what browser I have… I don’t have one as I have cut the cord. Missed the tennis match I bought espn for… but it immediately showed on my credit card. Roku made sure of that!!!

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

ESPN is responsible for ESPN not Roku.

0 Kudos