Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffrok
Level 12

Ultraviolet shutting down July 31st, 2019

Details in the FAQ:

https://www.myuv.com/faq
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
4 Replies
fluke
Level 10

Re: Ultraviolet shutting down July 31st, 2019

I just linked my UV account to my VUDU account so some of my UV library is now provided by VUDU.  As an added bonus, I can now watch those movie on Roku.  On the downside, VUDU seems to have decided that all my UV movies should be only provided in standard definition despite VUDU have HD versions of the same movies available.

I also linked UV to Fandango Now but getting it on Roku is a little weird.  Fandango Now can not be installed from the Roku Streaming Channels store and never appears off of the Home menu on the Roku.  Instead, after the Home, Feature Free and My Feed menu items on the left side of the Roku home screen is "Movie Store by Fandango."  Select that and then select "My Movie Library" and then press the asterisks/star/* button to get the option to login to your Fandango Now account.

VUDU linking did provide me access to some movies that are missing from Fandango Now but the VUDU downgrade to SD is disappointing.  Given VUDU is owned by Walmart, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that using UV movies linked through VUDU produces a second rate experience.

I am hoping that at some point UV will also work out a deal with Amazon for an option to link UV movies into Amazon accounts for streaming from that platform.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Yep, ensure UV is linked to Vudu, then make sure Vudu is linked to Movies Anywhere. That ensures you can get your media on virtually any device or computer. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

"fluke" wrote:

I am hoping that at some point UV will also work out a deal with Amazon for an option to link UV movies into Amazon accounts.

UV is shutting down, which is the point of this thread. No more deals to be made.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
fluke
Level 10

"scottypie1234" wrote:
"fluke" wrote:

I am hoping that at some point UV will also work out a deal with Amazon for an option to link UV movies into Amazon accounts.

UV is shutting down, which is the point of this thread. No more deals to be made.

From the UV website: "... UltraViolet and retailers will be working together to maximize your continued access to movies and TV shows."
I had read this to indicate they were still working between now and the end of July to work with additional retailers to smooth over the impact of the shutdown.
Each time a platform claiming purchase to "own" shut down a streaming or DRM license server needed to actually use the purchase, it de-legitimizes the model in little more for customers.  None of the current UV linking options seem to provide my full UV library as far as I can tell.  My thought simply was that it would be to Amazon's advantage in the long run for Bezos to approach UV since they have a vested interest in keeping people comfortable with the purchase to own streaming model.
As to the degree UV might be interested in working with Amazon if they were approached, you are probably right that they probably aren't actually looking to add more account linking partners.  It was just my personal hope UV would try better to protect the entire UV library of customers.
0 Kudos