Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Magnum
Level 7

USTVNOW No longer available for Roku

Wow that really sucks, as the topic says. I spoke to Roku support and that USTVNOW is no longer available for Roku at this time. I hope it returns soon and said to contact the provider for support explanation. One of the few live worth while channel available. All these other channels asks for your subscription info to view, if I had subscriptions I would not have a streaming box, I would be watching my subscriptions. FRUSTRATED. 
0 Kudos
26 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: USTVNOW No longer available for Roku

Huh. I just used their code and added the app to my device. Haven't watch anything on it, as I haven't signed up for an account.

The service is designed for U.S. citizens and military that are abroad. Since I'm no longer in the military, and not abroad...
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"Magnum" wrote:
Wow that really sucks, as the topic says. I spoke to Roku support and that USTVNOW is no longer available for Roku at this time. I hope it returns soon and said to contact the provider for support explanation. One of the few live worth while channel available. All these other channels asks for your subscription info to view, if I had subscriptions I would not have a streaming box, I would be watching my subscriptions. FRUSTRATED. 

Roku has been asked to remove this channel by the content rights owner.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
Roku has been asked to remove this channel by the content rights owner.

Well then. That answers that.

The USTVNow Website is still promoting Roku on their front page. I suppose they'll get around to taking that down, or something.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Magnum
Level 7

I spoke by email to USTVNOW support and they said its a known issue and that their support team is working on the issue and would update me when its resolved. So hopefully they will continue with Roku and I will update when or if I hear from them.
0 Kudos
vnazario
Level 8

Hello:

Another good channel removed by Roku.  Luckily, I have a second streaming device that still supports this and more.  Considering how little streaming devices cost, I highly recommend you have a Roku and an Android based streamer on your sets.  When Roku fails, the other device will be there to pick up the slack.  As much as I like and use my Roku's as primary streaming device, every time good content is pulled, system suddenly crashes and reboots, etc. the more tempted I am in making my other devices as primary and Roku secondary.  It is too bad the other boxes don't have that TV player feel the Roku has and the new remote with TV control is what keeps me hooked, but damn disappointed.  USTVNow, NowhereTV, and other good content removed out of the blue. 
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"vnazario" wrote:
Hello:

Another good channel removed by Roku.  Luckily, I have a second streaming device that still supports this and more.  Considering how little streaming devices cost, I highly recommend you have a Roku and an Android based streamer on your sets.  When Roku fails, the other device will be there to pick up the slack.  As much as I like and use my Roku's as primary streaming device, every time good content is pulled, system suddenly crashes and reboots, etc. the more tempted I am in making my other devices as primary and Roku secondary.  It is too bad the other boxes don't have that TV player feel the Roku has and the new remote with TV control is what keeps me hooked, but flower disappointed.  USTVNow, NowhereTV, and other good content removed out of the blue. 

Did you read what Shawn posted above? "Roku has been asked to remove this channel by the content rights owner." If Roku didn't remove it they become legally liable for copyright infringement. They had no choice but to remove it. For Nowhere TV, it appears it was pulled by the developer, not Roku. There's plenty of reason to blame for Roku for their recent firmware issues, but pulling channels like this isn't one of them.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Hmm I'd subscribed to (but barely used) USTVNow's DVR plan the past few years, and cancelled it just the other month (already have YTTV, DTVN, Sling, etc, and re-evaluating Vue).  Had recently removed their Roku channel so didn't know about this incident, but it's too bad...

Not saying Roku is at fault in this case, but got me thinking.  With rights owners increasingly pressuring and suing Roku (such that Roku is permanently banned in Mexico, for example), I think we'll continue to see Roku implementing more and more restrictions on private channels and pre-emptive bans.  There are even restrictions on sideloaded channel now.

What's more Roku has been diversifying into licensing content directly (such as for The Roku Channel) and offering their services on other platforms (such as Samsung TV's in the near future).  Those licensing terms probably add even more pressure for Roku to proactively curate private channels...

And this:

"Pompey" wrote:
This is perhaps a consequence of the hyper-vetting of the private channel marketplace that began in earnest after the Roku IPO.  It's understandable, given the sleazy, piratical nature of some of the content scraping that was occurring among some of the private channels.  This stuff was barely skirting copyright law.  Heck, now that Roku is public, they have to be more diligent in this regard, as they might have legal exposure to lawsuits. They don't want the SEC and the FTC after them.
0 Kudos
oden
Level 7

I actually do live abroad  and am really disappointed that Roku has taken this down. It was the only real way for me to watch live US programming on my TV, especially with DVR services which is important with the time differences. I am just about getting to the point of getting rid of my Roku player as the programming options available are far, far less then they are in the US. I could understand getting rid of the app in the US, but not for people living abroad. It's not like I can get the majority of these channels or programs somewhere else here. Sure, some US programs are shown here, but just a fraction. 
And yes I know that Roku is acting upon a request that the app be taken down, but it's still frustrating and Roku doesn't seem too interested in expanding much where I live. For example, while there is a Roku channel in the US, there isn't one here. 
0 Kudos
robman501a
Level 7

Man, that sucks!
How else am I going to watch NBC? If they have an app for live streaming, it's geoblocked. (Not available in Canada. Smiley Sad
I suppose I can toss up the antenna and watch NBC, CBS, CW, MYTV and PBS with the OTA setup once I get the antenna up. 
Own 2x Roku Streaming Stick (Model 3600X) connected to the home theater receivers HDMI port
0 Kudos