Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Twitch channel not working anymore?

Because something is "not a legit reason" to you doesn't make it so. There's a reason unauthorized Twitch apps get removed - and stay removed - from Roku (and other devices). If the Twitch creator doesn't see a revenue stream going to them - but instead someone else (like was the case here - no ads, a Patreon, etc.) then they shut it down. It's a very basic premise that almost anybody can understand. If you made something and I came along to gave it to everybody for free *and* made a profit off it while you saw nothing, you'd be perfectly fine with that as well? Of course you wouldn't ... neither is Amazon. Just because they're a big company and/or you "really want" Twitch working on the Roku doesn't excuse anything else.

I, too, have used many alternate Twitch channels on the Roku - but I also fully expect them ALL to be shut down by Amazon at one point or another. It sucks, but until Amazon and Roku iron out their issues, this is how it's going to be. There's no point in bogging down cutstomer service (as you said previously) because you want to throw what is basically a "temper tantrum". That helps nobody at all.

Highlighted
Level 8

I'm talking about Amazon blocking the official Twitch Roku app, which I still have and posted. I'm sorry you didn't read my post and got angry at me.

So, yes, blocking an official app because you dont want your Fire Stick to compete with the Roku isn't a legit reason to block an app.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I read it and slightly misinterpreted it.

That being said, Amazon didn't block the official app - the agreement between Roku and Amazon fell through. That will prevent future (official) updates and releases as both sides have to come to terms. Roku WANTS more apps on their device as it inherently increases their perceived value and Amazon WANTS their app on more devices as it gives them additional value *and* ways their PAYING customers (monthly subs, Prime subs, coins, etc.) can access their account. However, if an agreement between both companies isn't met, the app is pulled (or in some cases, left to rot). This is where we're at now and have been for a decent while now. Losing potential profits to random people and damage to the brand name are reasons why off-shoots like this keep disappearing when they get big enough. This entire thing is overly-simplified but I'm sure nobody here wants to get into mega-specifics like OAuth, APIs and deprecation.

Again, it sucks (this is my third Twitch off-shoot channel that's been removed?) - but this is how it is until Roku and Amazon come to an agreement. Flooding CS agents incapable of doing anything but giving a blanket apology won't fix that (neither will an online petition as those never actually result in anything) was my original point.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to remind everyone to be respectful of others and to follow the Community Guidelines when posting. The Community is a place for users to get assistance with their issues in a helpful and constructive manner.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Highlighted
Level 8

I'd like to bring the discussion back to the people that actually deserve your ire.

https://help.twitch.tv/s/contactsupport?language=en_US

Official Twitch Roku app version 1.0 build 16.

0 Kudos