Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Trouble navigating BritBox channel!

When I had Netflix,I never had any trouble navigating any series that I tried,but I hate BritBox! Netflix gives you the options of selecting which season,plus which episode.BB doesn't even show you how many seasons a show has,neither does it have the episodes in an easy to scroll column,Intead, 'YOU MUST HIT THE TARGET'' of the little thumbnail showing which episode it is.... BEFORE it changes......and most of the time it jumps to the episode before or after the one you want! I got so fed up,that I didn't even finish my 7-day free trial,so this will probably be the only month I will pay for!

Plus it freezes A LOT,and BUFFERS almost continuously!.EscapeTo The Country is almost impossible to watch,as is everything else on this channel!

Anyone else having the same problem with this channel?

8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Trouble navigating BritBox channel!

I love the programming on Britbox and have had no streaming issues.  I agree that the interface when the ability to go from episode to episode or season to season needs a lot of work.  Hoping to come up with my own work around.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

@i_love_autumn wrote:

When I had Netflix,I never had any trouble navigating any series that I tried,but I hate BritBox! Netflix gives you the options of selecting which season,plus which episode.BB doesn't even show you how many seasons a show has,neither does it have the episodes in an easy to scroll column,Intead, 'YOU MUST HIT THE TARGET'' of the little thumbnail showing which episode it is.... BEFORE it changes......and most of the time it jumps to the episode before or after the one you want! I got so fed up,that I didn't even finish my 7-day free trial,so this will probably be the only month I will pay for!

Plus it freezes A LOT,and BUFFERS almost continuously!.EscapeTo The Country is almost impossible to watch,as is everything else on this channel!

Anyone else having the same problem with this channel?

Are you an Amazon Prime subscriber? If so, you might try subscribing to a trial of BRITBOX through the Prime Channels available in the Prime Video app. I am not endorsing or claiming that the Prime Video UI and navigation is any sort of 'gold standard' by any means, but if you ADD the BRITBOX channel via Prime VIdeo you do get the navigation that is common with all other Prime Video offerings. I subscribe to BRITBOX and ACORN TV this way and you do get a consistent and easy to navigate UI between seasons and episodes. I also get a very consistent and reliable streaming experience through the Prime Video app. I remember a number of ACORN TV early subscribers to the standalone app were experiencing buffering and quality issues with the standalone app and found that moving to the Prime Channel option provided a much more reliable experience. I am guessing that streaming through the Prime Video app allows the content to leverage Amazon's more robust and reliable network.

Just a thought to consider. Not sure how much different the navigation experience might be if you subscribed through the Roku Channel offerings. I can't comment on that experience.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I subscribed to BritBox to watch Classic Doctor Who. My husband and I have discovered that the series does not pick up at the last episode we watch and we have to hit fast forward through several episodes to get to the one we want to watch. I hope they FIX this soon!

Highlighted
Level 7

I echo those previous comments as we sometimes need to fast forward thru 4 or 5 shows to get where we where.  A selection at the top of "Previously Watched" or the selections like ACORN are really needed for this service to succeed.  BritBox costs more than ACORN but (at least for us) offers fewer shows we will watch so improving the session will increase our desire to remain.

Highlighted
Level 7

OK, so I did that. Seems you are right, that it will be easier to navigate that way. Problem is, now I have two subscriptions. I guess I will need to cancel the one I have directly through BritBox. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Replying to my own complaint....just had to fast forward thru a dozen episodes of "As Time Goes By" to get where I was last night.  Can not see paying more for a subscription when Acorn is cheaper and works.  BritBox should have our email and they are welcomed to alert us when, or if, this problem is corrected to allow stress-free viewing.

Highlighted
Level 7

Totally agree. Cancelled free trial after couple of days. App is not smooth. You can not select specific episodes. Badly put together app that should have got basic features right before releasing it. Will try it again in a year, if it’s still going,to see if it teething problems are sorted. Definitely for me, not worth subscription till they are.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I ran into this problem last night.  I could not figure out how to switch episodes while watching the program - I did not see the thumbnail mentioned above. 

I was able to select series and episodes by searching for the program in BritBox on the Roku, either through the Search facility or scrolling by through the list of programs.  Selecting the program allowed me to select the series and specific episode I wanted.  Maybe there are country differences between the Roku interface - I am using the Canadian version.

Although I have a good high speed Internet connection, I was seeing serious issues with buffering when I tried to watch BritBox (and also Google Play Movies) via Chromecast.  So far, I have had no buffering issues on the Roku, even though I am using WiFi to connect to my router.  

0 Kudos