Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bladerunner6
Level 7

To watch NBC do I need a cable TV provider?

My wife and I have had the Roku for a while and love it. We are now ready to cut the cord.

We are trying to use an antenna for the broadcast networks but our NBC affiliate is not coming in reliably.

As it has been a while since we started using the Roku I can’t recall if we needed to have a provider or not for the NBC app.  If we don’t need a provider then we can just go down to internet access only instead of internet and a broadcast package.

We really love  “This Is Us” and enjoy some other shows on NBC so if you have a 100% sure, definitive answer on this I would love to know it.

Thanks so much!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 10

Re: To watch NBC do I need a cable TV provider?

You do need a subscription to a service if you want to see anything more then the first episode of series.
0 Kudos
Bladerunner6
Level 7

Thanks.

Then I need to figure out how to get my NBC affiliate either on an antenna or with a minimum cable package.

Thanks so much.
0 Kudos
nocable
Level 7

"Bladerunner6" wrote:
Thanks.

Then I need to figure out how to get my NBC affiliate either on an antenna or with a minimum cable package.

Thanks so much.

There are various websites for cord cutters and otherwise that can give you advice on antennas, placement of antennas, and amplifiers for antennas. A little Google searching should do the trick for you...
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Ultra & 3600
SPECTRUM - 100/10 Mbps

Favorite Roku Channels:
WEATHER4US
PLUTO TV
YOU TUBE
PLUTO TV
0 Kudos
denhow
Level 7

I don't have cable but I've watched plenty of NBC shows on the Roku channel. Yes, more episodes are available if you have a provider, but if you don't, the latest episode of each current show is available after a delay of, I think, 8 days. There's a rolling set of 5 episodes available without authentication. When a new episode is added, the oldest of the 5 goes back to requiring a provider. NBC is more generous about the availability of episodes during a show's first season. They also give you 3 "credits" you can use to watch an episode that would otherwise require authentication.
0 Kudos
mdavej
Level 7

Hulu has a ton of NBC content and has a student deal for $5, if you have any of those in the family.

Philo and AT&T Watch may also have NBC for around $15/month. But locals vary depending on where you are, so either try the free trial first or confirm before you buy.

Sling TV and DirecTV NOW usually have NBC as well, but run $20 and up.

Lots of ways to get NBC without resorting to cable.
0 Kudos