Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rickyteo
Level 8

Third Party Channel Scams

I think it's time for Roku to really start cracking down on these fly by night third party channel owners that are crooks. I think the standard for these channels should be raised. It seems like it is really easy to put up a channel. Unfortunately, being that easy, you are opening the door for the bad eggs. I've already had 2 credit cards hacked by these channels in the last year and now will only subscribe and pay through Roku and will not pay direct to a channel. This just makes Roku look bad.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DBDukes
Level 16

Re: Third Party Channel Scams

Some credit card companies offer one-use or virtual cards/numbers that are vendor specific. For example, one card I have allows me to generate a credit card number on the fly, and charges it to my regular card. I can then turn the virtual card off so that it can't be used again.

If it turns out I like the service and want to be billed again, I can reactivate the virtual card, or update the account to use my actual card (I'll do the former, not the latter). If they try to use the number again without my authorization, the credit card company notifies me. 

Your request for Roku to crack down seems to be a good answer on the surface, but look deeper. What if it's a new company that is honest and upright? How do they build their business if Roku won't let them on the platform?

It is, and always will be, caveat emptor. It's my responsibility to use what I have to protect myself and my finances, not Roku's. Roku is not being negligent in allowing companies into the Channel Store that turn around and has a data breach. If Roku didn't house the data that was breached, it's not Roku's fault.

DBDukes
https://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
Strega
Level 14

What channels are these?  I assume not well-known ones? 

It's interesting that Roku has thousands of channels, yet every day you see people asking why Roku doesn't have yet another channel.  Just today two people asked about a channel and I googled it and most if its Wikipedia page was about lawsuits over copyright.  Whether the people asking for it were aware of that or would care if they did, I don't know. 

rickyteo
Level 8

The channels in mention are Dazone TV, Frabble TV, Polaroid TV, Titan TV. They are all owned by the same person or company, After they get thrown off the Roku platform, they create a new channel a few days later. Time to tighten up the system to keep these guys from keep coming back under another name.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 16

I was not aware Titan TV was considered a problem company.

DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
0 Kudos
rickyteo
Level 8

Titan TV was a movie channel with the same name as the one you are probably referring to. It was taken down this week. They do that a lot. Last month they were called Circle TV until that was pulled. They keep getting pulled and a week later just put up the same channel with a different name. Can't Roku **bleep** this in the bud before they can list another channel?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 16

If @RokuDanny-R or @RokuMary-F read this, perhaps they'll be able to see if Roku is aware of the situation and what they're doing, if anything, about it.

DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
0 Kudos
rickyteo
Level 8

Yes, I've dealt with Danny before... good guy. Thanks Mr. Dukes. You sound like a level headed guy. Nice chatting with you.

0 Kudos
developercreato
Level 7

Titan TV is not a third party channel as it is owned an managed by Samsung, the channel has went through a series of updates and which the app will completely be published in the coming weeks you can stay up to date on the samsung website about such, because I was wondering why I was having issues streaming titantv, basically the app has been taken down by samsung the developers themselves because of the issues it has been having with loading movies, I contacted roku and was informed by this, roku is currently going through a series of being sued for these kinds of channels Frabble TV, Dazone TV, Polaroid TV, And Circle TV have all fallen off because they don't have proof to selling this content but with Titan TV they do, this issue comes with the factor that there IP is blocked so they can no longer publish a channel I know this because its in the Roku developer terms and services and if they violate it there account is blocked, I hope this narrows it down and cracks down on all these fake channels that I keep gettting also its very annoying but as I know of samsung will be providing further information to those who paid for TitanTV before the temporarily took it down, maybe some sort of free period of like 3 months or so lets hope because either way the movies are great.

0 Kudos
rickyteo
Level 8

developercreato,

Please post the link to the Samsung website you speak of. Samsung.com has no mention of Titan TV.

0 Kudos