Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdolan01
Level 8

The Walking Dead on AMC channel causing roku to restart frequently

I am having same issue with Roku Ultra watching The Walking Dead on AMC channel.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: The Walking Dead on AMC channel causing roku to restart frequently

@jdolan01

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
jdolan01
Level 8

@RokuDanny-R

Hi Danny. 

I have an Ultra 4800X serial S02C20AWC8W4 / X010005WC8W4 that I purchased from Wal-Mart 2/4/2021.  The AC adapter is plugged into a wall outlet and I am using a wired ethernet cable.   Speedtest.net shows download speed 612 Mbps and upload speed 33 Mbps so internet service is great.  I mostly watch Hulu and Fubo TV without any problem.  The problem occurs every time I try watching The Walking Dead (TWD) on AMC channel (the low cost one with ads using Fubo TV as my provider).   The symptom is the screen goes grey with static for 10 seconds and then the Roku restarts. 

This happened on April 3 as soon as I clicked to watch TWD Season 10 Episode 22.  After the restart I noticed the episode was "scheduled" to air April 4.   

I then clicked on Episode 21, fast forwarded to near the end, hit rewind back a few minutes, and when I hit play, it crashed. 

The next day on April 4, I was watching episode 22, and I was distracted for a few minutes, so hit rewind back a few minutes, and when I hit play it crashed. 

Just a few minutes ago, I tested again with episode 22.  I selected play from beginning, and as soon as the first ad ended (showing Ad 0:09 in upper left), it crashed. 

I tried the episode again from the beginning and made it through the ads and started watching, I then fast forwarded to just past the half way point and during the first commercial, the AMC app closed and I was returned to the Roku Home screen (at least it did not restart this time). 

I switched back to episode 21, fast forwarded past half way point, watched for a minute, hit rewind and as I was increasing rewind speed from 1x to 8x it crashed (grey screen and Roku restart).

So this problem is very easy to recreate with AMC channel and The Walking Dead show using Ultra 4800X.

I then tried a second Roku Ultra 4800x S02C20A3GR3K/X01000J3GR3K that I bought from Walmart 3/26/2021.  It is also plugged into a wall outlet with a hardwired ethernet cable, but in a different room so a different outlet and ethernet cable.  I tried watching episode 21 from the beginning, and near the end of the first ad (Ad 0:09 again displayed in upper left), I got the grey screen and Roku restart. 

So this is happening on more than one Ultra 4800X. 

Are you able to test and recreate the problem?

I then tried episode 21 on my Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810R/3810X that I purchased from Best Buy on 3/27/2021.  Plugged into wall outlet but with WiFi network connection.  I fast forwarded and rewound several times, no problems of any kind.  So this may be a problem only with Ultra 4800X.

Makes me reluctant to purchase any more of the more expensive top of the line Ultra 4800X, and I am wondering if I should return them.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@jdolan01

Thanks for the information.

I have passed along the information that you have provided to the appropriate team. In the meantime, can you please provide us with the following information:
-what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when you see this issue occur (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)? 

Once we have that information, we will be able to pass it along for further investigation.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
jdolan01
Level 8

@RokuDanny-R

Danny,

When the grey screen with static appears, the Roku Ultra is non-responsive and no buttons work, until after the restart completes.

But I just easily recreated the problem again by watching from the beginning episode 21, and near the end of the first ad (Ad 0:08 in upper left corner), the grey screen of death appeared and the Ultra restarted.  

The Tracker ID right before the problem was W4-139-386.  After the Ultra restarted, the tracker ID was W4-139-389.

Jerry

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@jdolan01

Thanks for the post.

I have passed along the information to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos