Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

The Roku Channel: LOUD Volume on Commercials

To the advertisers on The Roku Channel: I'm sorry that no one at my home listens to your commercials, but you can thank The Roku Channel for that. You see, at every commercial break, the geniuses at The Roku Channel jack the volume up so high that it almost blows my TV's speakers, so the second one of your commercials comes on, we hit the mute button. I guess someone at The Roku Channel still believes that the volume needs to go up so we can hear the commercials when we're in the kitchen during the commercial break. Of course, the 'genius' who decided this has overlooked the fact that when we need a break to get something to eat, we'll just hit pause since Roku IS A STREAMING SERVICE. Anyway, if you want people to listen to your commercials, you should call The Roku Channel and tell them to lower the volume and stop pissing off your potential customers.
18 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: The Roku Channel: LOUD Volume on Commercials

Oh God you just noticed that. It happens all over the net and Roku....everywhere!

The commercials are always louder I guess to drive it into our heads to go out and spend our money on **bleep**. Like dried up jellyfish for our brains<<< ironic aint it?

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
Highlighted
Level 7

Unbearably loud in comparison to the show or movie being played.
Highlighted
Level 16

This used to annoy me a great deal a long time ago.

Not sure what happened but a long while back I started using computer speakers THESE .

And I either got used to it or I dont know.

You can make a Feature request but I doubt it will fly.

Volume Leveling is something usually built into a TV or Sound System.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-level-the-volume-on-a-tv-when-the-commercials-come-on

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
Highlighted
Level 7

I just sent an email to roku customer service everybody else that has the same complaint should do the same and perhaps if they get enough complaints still do something about this

[content removed]

Highlighted
Level 7

It's obnoxious - Roku REALLY needs to address this - it's a deal breaker, totally unacceptable! I have stopped watching stations that crank their commercials up to deafening volumes.

Highlighted
Level 7

I just got Roku. The commercials are crazy loud. I mute them ASAP.  Roku channel is my last resort for watching a program. Other networks or APPS may have loud commercials but nothing like Roku.

Highlighted
Level 7

The sound levels on the Roku tv channel are very inconsistent.   Channel has great shows that can't be found elsewhere but why such poor quality control.?. for example watching newsradio, the volume is down to 2-3 and I have to mute commercials as they are blasting.   Rules of engagement can be watched at a more normal level (8-10) but every once in a while a commercial comes on blasting.  I thought  the Oprah commercial that is playing was going to harm my tv speakers..   please do some sound leveling!  Only channel I have this problem.

Highlighted

Sad that someone at ROKU will not respond to this thread or even acknowledge it. ROKU SUCKS. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Most TV commercials are created to be loud simply so you can hear the advertisement and get your attention. The does not regulate the volume of commercials, nor does it regulate the volume of TV programs. But, the FCC does require broadcasters to limit the power. 

Adjust The Volume Leveling 

Press the start button on the remote and navigate to Advanced Sound Settings > Volume Mode > Leveling. Additionally, you can go to Advanced Sound Settings > Volume Mode > Night to increase the volume of softer sounds and decrease the volume of loud sounds.