Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gbhnew
Reel Rookie

The Roku Channel Free Content

Within the past week the free content on the Roku Channel is not playing.  When you select a show (ie: Outer Limits - any episode) and press play the screen just refreshes and never plays the show.  This is happening on all the shows I have tried.  I have several Roku devices and they all are doing the same thing.  The systems have the latest firmware and have been rebooted several times.  I have also removed the Roku Channel app and reinstalled it per procedure and still have the problem.  I have even did a factory reset on one of the Roku devices and have the same issue.  All other apps (netflix, prime, etc.) are working with no issues.  Nothing has changed on my router or network, the free content shows just stopped playing.  I can watch the episodes on my Mac notebook with no issues so it seems related to the Roku devices.  Please advise. Thanks

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: The Roku Channel Free Content

@gbhnew 

It sounds strange, but sometimes only the Roku Channel exhibits this behavior, when your other Channels/apps don't.

Try restarting both your Router and your Roku devices when this happens.  I think it may just be a loss of connection with the Roku servers or the CDN server.  Restarting both the router and Roku devices should establish a new connection and refresh the network.

I know you said you said you followed the Channel/app removal instructions.  Just in case, Remove Channel, Restart your Roku device, then Reinstall Channel.

Post back with an update or if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Mvrandle
Reel Rookie

The newest channels on the Roku Channel (for instance, the **bleep** Van **bleep** channel) will not show up on the guide, but the channel still shows up in the "continue watching" section. When I select, all I get is a balnk screen. I then have to delete then reinstall the Roku Channel in order to watch it. When I leave the Roku Channel for other apps, then go back to it, I have to do it all over again. This is on a HiSense 55" UHD Roku TV running OS 10.5 Build 4210-39 (the tv is 7215X, Hisense model 55R6+). This is frustrating, annoying, and inconvenient. I don't have issues with any other live channels, just the newest adds.

0 Kudos
Mvrandle
Reel Rookie

Don't understand the censorship in the show's name. It's the show with Mary Tyler Moore and that guy from Diagnosis Murder. His name is apparently offensive in here. LOL

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Mvrandle 

Since these new channels (16) were just added to the Live TV Guide, you may have to do a Channel or System update. (could be why they are appearing temporarily and then disappearing).  I only noticed these new channels last night after reading the Roku blog and had to update my System for them to appear in the Guide.

In order to update the Roku Channel and remove any corrupted data...

1. Remove Channel.  Restart the Roku device.  Reinstall the Channel. 

2. Settings/System/System Update.

3. Settings/System/System Restart.

Feel free to post back if still having an issue.

0 Kudos
davidjazz
Roku Guru

I was watching a show on the Roku Channel about the construction of the **bleeps** in Holland. The music was by American composer Van **bleep** Parks. The  **bleep** brothers, David and Charles, funded the show. American president **bleep** Nixon was said to be interested in the technology in the 1960s. The show was called * * BLEEP!**

Mvrandle
Reel Rookie

The issue persists. I have no idea what is going on. I have tried the method you suggested before asking you g uys, and tried once again you suggested it. Still no luck. If I exit The Roku Channel and go back, it has disappeared from the guide and I only get a black screen when selecting it in the continue watching row.  Mybe OS 11 will fix it (if my device ever updates to it!).

0 Kudos
gbhnew
Reel Rookie

Ok, thanks for the feedback.

I tried the suggested steps and no luck.  I even reset one of my three Rokus to factory settings and I still have the same issue with that device.  When trying to play an episode it just refreshes and never starts playing.  I contacted my ISP and they said nothing is blocking on their end.  They suggested trying a computer and not the device and guess what - I had no issues playing the content from my MacBook through Safari.  Since I have three devices doing the same thing I don't think it is the device.  Any further suggestions?  Thanks

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@gbhnew 

Are you able to connect one of your Roku devices to a mobile hotspot or an alternate network (friend/family) and then try to watch something from Roku Channel.

The fact that it is affecting all three devices indicates it may be a network issue or how the network is trying to connect to Roku servers.  

In addition to the hotspot or alternative network, I would try changing the DNS server addresses at the router to Google public DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for testing.  

I assume you are in US, no pi-hole or other filtering services connected to the network.

----

If the above sounds a bit confusing or unable to do so, post back with your router model number, your ISP (internet service provider) and your network setup. (Do you have just one modem or do you have a modem as well as an additional router - basically 1 or 2 devices?).  

0 Kudos