Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samtwo
Channel Surfer

Re: Terrible Subtitle Fonts

Jump to solution

I know Roku doesn't have arial fonts but I just wondering why? I am used to android tv and other TV boxes which plex has decent fonts (I think arial). Roku caption fonts are not easy readable and also have to choose if they should be always on or off and not by the audio language. Anyway it's a pity a nice Roku TV Stick  to have such a weird problem with the caption fonts and not be solved.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

They’re not readable because you probably have a small TV set, or the size of the captions on your Roku settings is small.  I own a 27” Magnavox CRT TV dating back to September 1994, along with a Roku Express+ 3910X, and the captions currently set on my Roku device seem readable on the set.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
samtwo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you very much for your fast response trying to help me! English is not my mother language so sometime people can't understand what I am writing. I meant the subtitles are not easy readable because of the strange font. My tv is 65" and I tried different font sizes with no luck. 

0 Kudos
YogiB
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@samtwo wrote:

I know Roku doesn't have arial fonts but I just wondering why?

As staff has replied in the past: the current fonts are there because of FCC obligations. They blame limited storage space for the lack of additional font choices. I'd rather sacrifice 1 or 2 channel/app slots to have some decent subtitle font options.

samtwo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

except that is nice and fast device.  They have some additional fonts but not one with thick letters. Apps like netflix and amazon use ther own font witch is nice. 

samtwo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

also there is a delay in subtitles appearance when using captions. This is only a problem with external subs. I also note that transcoding with hard subs has correct sync. This is a pretty annoying bug.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@samtwo, I've been using extracted (by me) subtitles with ripped movies since my first Roku device (N1000).  I've never had a problem with synchronization.  If they're consistently too early or too late you can use some like Subtitle Edit to adjust the timing.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
WillianWRM

Jump to solution

New Roku user and I may say it has the most hideous subtitle font and functions.

What I do miss:
- Arial or any other fast readable font (google it guys, common)
- Bold option
- Outline color option, I really love yellow font with black outline, Roku gives me static white outline...

Thank God at least Netflix implements it's own subtitles and not Roku one.

andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have been using Sans Serif Proportional, default size (medium), 75% background opacity. It works well.

0 Kudos