Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jdege
Level 7

Tablo App when offline?

I'm having a bit of internet difficulty, today. My local network works fine, but my cable modem is not connecting to my ISP.
When I try to run Roku apps that stream from the internet, Netflix, YouTube, etc., they don't work, as I would expect.
When I try to play videos on the USB drive I have stuck into the side of the Roku device, using the Roku Media Player app, they work fine, which is nice.

I have a Tablo on the network, and the Tablo app installed on my Roku. When I try to run the Tablo app, I'm getting "not connected to the internet" errors.

Given that the streaming source for the Tablo app is on my local network, and is available to the Roku even when the internet is down, this isn't strictly necessary.

It should be possible to stream from sources on the local network even when the internet is not connected.

I'd not consider this a high-priority use case, but I know a few people who have streaming services of various types (e.g., Plex) running on their local network. It should be possible for apps running on the Roku to access them when the larger internet is unavailable.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Tablo App when offline?

That would need to be Tablo to fix on their app. Also, Roku due to storage limits on Roku, if you have a lot of apps on your list, they don't all cache to the Roku, so Roku needs to sometimes re-download the app to load it. Plex does work offline, used it many times when there's an Internet Outage.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Jdege
Level 7

I want sure whether it was the Roku or the Tablo app.
Thanks for clarifying.
0 Kudos

The Tablo streams via wifi. You need an Internet connection to accomplish that.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

"scottypie1234" wrote:
The Tablo streams via wifi. You need an Internet connection to accomplish that.

Not if the channel and it's contents are all local, unless there's something absolutely crucial to the channel working without internet (maybe it authenticates the Tablo account online, I'm not sure how Tablo works).
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 11

Don't have a Tablo, but dies that include a channel guide/schedule? If so, that probably uses the internet.

Seems like it should be able to play previously recorded programs when internet is down, but maybe it needs internet for program info or something.

[Added later]Found this on Tablo's support forum:
Every time you open the Roku channel, it will use our network discovery tools to find your Tablo. If it can't find it on your local network, it will fall back to Tablo's servers to try to find it.

Long story short, you should be able to use your Tablo via Roku with an external web outage. You'll still need your home network to be working and power, but it will work.

Our apps that are web-enabled (iPhone, Android, FireTV) will require a live connection.
ref: https://community.tablotv.com/t/tablo-r ... on/3669/12
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos