Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smiffyuk1982
Level 7

Re: TVPlayer

@Loraine1953 wrote:

What other apps can be used to watch live tv? 

I've sold my Roku and now have a FireTV stick 4k

Shame on Roku, I'd never go back now I have the FireTV stick, their loss 

0 Kudos
Riceuten
Level 9

@Loraine1953 wrote:

Where are you ? Most of the UK terrestrial channels have a Roku app that allows you to watch their TV channels. Other nations have their own. I can watch Iranian, Turkish, and Greek telly for nothing ;-)

Many are paid fors, though. There is an app called, rather charmingly, FOTV, which streams FilmOn, but this is a paid-for subscription service. 

0 Kudos
Riceuten
Level 9

£39.99 on Amazon (though they occasionally have an offer on at £19.99). 

Is it like the NowTV stick, where, to activate it, you need to subscribe to Prime (or Sky, in this case) and then remember to cancel it ?

0 Kudos
Bedroc
Level 7

I have also just bought Roku with a main reason being TV player to get Eurosport. The App is still there on the menu it just won't load. Considering returning it and definitely wont be recommending to sport loving friends

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

There are plenty of sports and Futbol Channels

https://channelstore.roku.com/browse/sports

changes on where you are but they are there.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@smiffyuk1982 wrote:

@Loraine1953 wrote:

I've sold my Roku and now have a FireTV stick 4k

Shame on Roku, I'd never go back now I have the FireTV stick, their loss 

It wasn't Roku's doing. The company providing TVPlayer made the decision to drop support for Roku devices. Go vent at them. You're angry at Roku for something they didn't do.

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
gallick
Level 7

Does Roku, or anyone else, have an answer to this question? 

Many people, myself included, bought into Roku because it was able to provide live UK TV channels (using the TVPlayer app). Now that TVPlayer have decided not to support Roku, what alternatives do we have? What are Roku doing to provide the missing capability.

I can't see why anyone in the UK would buy Roku with the current lack of live TV when the competing products seem to be able to provide it with either TVPlayer or Freeview.

It is very disappointing that I have bought 3 Roku sticks and am now unable to watch live TV. Had I known in advance, I would have bought something else.

0 Kudos
Riceuten
Level 9

Sadly, for you, it is not Roku's responsibility or role to provide you with the services of a particular provider. As has been stressed, many, many times here, the people who provided the services to Roku suddenly decided to no longer support it. It's not then Roku's role to provide a replacement. Had Roku advertised their wares primarily as being able to access live British TV all in one place, then you may have had a point, but they didn't and you haven't. Roku's channel store includes the BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and similar offerings from Channel 4, Channel 5, and UKTV, which made up the vast majority of what TVPlayer provided. 

Why people are blaming Roku for the actions of an external partner I will never know. 

0 Kudos
gallick
Level 7

I am not sure whether that response is from Roku as it displays a total disregard for customer service. I was hoping that Roku would respond with a sensitive "we appreciate the gap and are putting plans in place to address it for our valued UK customers".

My message was not blaming Roku for losing the TVPlayer support. I do however expect a responsible, customer focused company to appreciate that they have both disappointed customers and are left with an noncompetitive product; and make some attempt to improve their offering and plug the capability gap.

Streaming TV is a competitive marketplace and companies can not afford to offer products which lag behind their competitors. They can also not afford to ignore customer service and customer satisfaction. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@gallick wrote:

I am not sure whether that response is from Roku as it displays a total disregard for customer service. I was hoping that Roku would respond with a sensitive "we appreciate the gap and are putting plans in place to address it for our valued UK customers".

My message was not blaming Roku for losing the TVPlayer support. I do however expect a responsible, customer focused company to appreciate that they have both disappointed customers and are left with an noncompetitive product; and make some attempt to improve their offering and plug the capability gap.

Streaming TV is a competitive marketplace and companies can not afford to offer products which lag behind their competitors. They can also not afford to ignore customer service and customer satisfaction. 

You are expecting Roku to go out and find another provider that can offer what TVPlayer offered. That's not their role in this relationship. They provide the platform, and allow almost anyone to create content for it. It doesn't matter what country this occurs in. I know it's a loss for users in the UK when a provider decides to pull out. But Roku can't force them to return, and it's not their job to solicit a replacement. Hopefully enough users will contact TVPlayer and convince them to return to Roku, or some other provider might see an opportunity to fill the gap. 

You won't find Apple (Apple TV), Amazon (Fire TV) or Google (Android devices) asking providers to supply an app for their devices. So why should Roku?  Roku has the majority of player market share, and if the providers want to hit the largest audience possible they will create a channel for Roku devices. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.