Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MWDXER
Level 10

TCM is on Firestick but not Roku

I recently bought a Firestick for $20 on Prime Day. Interesting list of apps. Not as many as the Roku, but a lot of different ones. One they have is TCM. It is free if a subscriber has TCM on cable/satellite. It is nice to finally have TCM on demand. Why Roku doesn't have TCM, I have no clue.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: TCM is on Firestick but not Roku

Neither do I, but it's not up to Roku.. it's up to TCM.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

WatchTCM is the app available for Fire TV, Apple TV, iOS, and Android (mobile) platforms. It is not available on Android TV (at least, not mine) or Roku. I have not tried to use WatchTCM on Android (mobile) phones to cast to Chromecast, so I don't know how well that works, if at all.

TCM has chosen to partner with FilmStruck, offering TCM Select via the FilmStruck app and standalone subscription service. That's available on most platforms, including Roku, Android TV, and others that for whatever reason TCM has chosen to not provide its own app.

For my Android TV device and Roku devices, FilmStruck is the only TCM option. And, as jeffrok said, that's up to TCM as to what devices they'll provide a native app.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
MWDXER
Level 10

With how inexpensive a lot of the streaming devices are, I guess if the consumer wants access to different apps, the answer is to have more than one streaming device. I have three now, the Roku (my favorite), the Firestick, and the Chromecast. The Chromecast works better for me to use a search engine cast to the TV from the computer. I have found the search engines often load down the firestick and the channel (app) with kick off. Maybe the stick just does not have enough memory. But for the usual Amazon Prime, etc it works fine.
0 Kudos
mwdxer1
Level 7

After having the Fire stick/box for the past several weeks, I did up grade to the box as it runs faster. There are a lot of channels (apps) that the Fire Box has, Roku doesn't. and vice-versa. I wonder if the other streaming boxes have other channels not on Roku or Fire Box? Having both really gives a great selection of free programming.
0 Kudos
overtimeman
Level 7

I have the second generation of FireTV along with the Roku Ultra.Never hurts to have the best of both worlds and yep the firetv has apps(my radar) the roku doesn't have and vice versa(i tunes podcasts).Sometimes netflix on roku gives me the message about can't access this try again later.Change to the firetv and no problem.At least roku offers something for everybody.
I used to have a life before Roku!
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"mwdxer1" wrote:
 I wonder if the other streaming boxes have other channels not on Roku or Fire Box? 

iTunes. Only on Apple TV
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
offthegrid
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
WatchTCM is the app available for Fire TV, Apple TV, iOS, and Android (mobile) platforms. It is not available on Android TV (at least, not mine) or Roku. I have not tried to use WatchTCM on Android (mobile) phones to cast to Chromecast, so I don't know how well that works, if at all.

TCM has chosen to partner with FilmStruck, offering TCM Select via the FilmStruck app and standalone subscription service. That's available on most platforms, including Roku, Android TV, and others that for whatever reason TCM has chosen to not provide its own app.

For my Android TV device and Roku devices, FilmStruck is the only TCM option. And, as jeffrok said, that's up to TCM as to what devices they'll provide a native app.

You can easily sideload the TCM app onto Android TV.  I have it sideloaded - works fine.  
0 Kudos