Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

TCM app needs service provider

Jump to solution

We recently switched from Amazon Firestick to Roku and we couldn't be happier.  The only problem we have is with the Firestick we could watch a movie on TCM anytime, not just when it was live on their channel.  Roku needs a service provider to watch anything that is not live on TCM.  I contacted customer service and they could not tell me why that is the case.  They can only explain that I need a service provider.  Cable is too expensive which is why we stream.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: TCM app needs service provider

Jump to solution

It's really up to the provider to define why you can / cannot do what you are asking.  Roku just provides a platform for providers to build their streaming apps.  In this case, TCM would have to tell you.  It's possible they have a deal with Amazon which allows their content to be viewed without a subscription.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

It's really up to the provider to define why you can / cannot do what you are asking.  Roku just provides a platform for providers to build their streaming apps.  In this case, TCM would have to tell you.  It's possible they have a deal with Amazon which allows their content to be viewed without a subscription.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@LadS wrote:

We recently switched from Amazon Firestick to Roku and we couldn't be happier.  The only problem we have is with the Firestick we could watch a movie on TCM anytime, not just when it was live on their channel.  Roku needs a service provider to watch anything that is not live on TCM.  I contacted customer service and they could not tell me why that is the case.  They can only explain that I need a service provider.  Cable is too expensive which is why we stream.

I have the WATCH TCM app installed on a Roku TV and on a Fire TV Stick. The app provides both the LIVE East and West coast feeds along with the on demand library of movies. Both the Roku TV and the Fire TV Stick require that you authenticate with a cable service provider. TCM does not offer a standalone monthly subscription option. I am not sure how you are getting both the LIVE feeds and the on demand library on the Firestick without providing authentication to a cable service provider that includes the TCM channel.

It is up to TCM as to how their content is accessed. I wish they would have a reasonably priced standalone monthly subscription option, but they currently do not. Warnermedia did announce that the HBO Max classics movie collection will be curated by TCM. It will likely be a subset of what is on the WATCH TCM app unfortunately.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K