Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ron2112
Level 7

TCL Roku TV channel versions are old

For whatever reason, the channel updates on my TCL Roku TV are not keeping up with my Roku sticks. The most obvious example is YouTube... the version on my sticks has a completely different look and feel, especially in the playlists. Netflix on the TV still has the very annoying slowness issue in the UI, while the sticks are relatively free of that. Is there any way I can force the TV to update to the versions of these channels that are currently running on the sticks?

thanks!
ron
0 Kudos
5 Replies
renojim
Level 10

Re: TCL Roku TV channel versions are old

Are your sticks and your TV on the same firmware version (Settings->System->About - Software version)? If your sticks are on a later version they may get channel updates that aren't supported by earlier firmware versions. You'll just have to wait until your TV's firmware gets updated.

-JT
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Channel updates are (to my knowledge) the responsibility of the developer. I would imagine they have the ability to designate specific versions for specific models of Roku. There's no way to force a channel update on a particular box. When the box checks for updates (or you force a manual update), it can only offer what is available for your player. I've seen discrepancies between my various players, especially with YouTube. It's completely out of your hands what version of each channel you have.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ron2112
Level 7

"renojim" wrote:
Are your sticks and your TV on the same firmware version (Settings->System->About - Software version)? If your sticks are on a later version they may get channel updates that aren't supported by earlier firmware versions. You'll just have to wait until your TV's firmware gets updated

The TV is 8.0.0, the sticks are 8.0.1. So why wouldn't my TV be updating? Is that TCL's fault? Do I need to reach out to them to find out about getting an update?

thanks
ron
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Different platforms have different build numbers, due to the hardware.  So a TV compared to a stick will most likely be slightly different.  For example, the original Netflix player is on a vastly different firmware version than current versions of our hardware.  The Roku XDS models are also on a very different firmware version and build.

As far as channel versions are concerned, as atc98092 said, that's entirely dependant on the developer.  Some firmware updates don't require channel updates, while others do.  It depends entirely on what has changed, and whether or not it broke the channel (in the latter, case, that's the developer's responsibility).  In your case, there might or might not be issues with the TV hardware that prevents a channel from being able to update their app to the same version your stick has, or vice versa.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

"ron2112" wrote:
The TV is 8.0.0, the sticks are 8.0.1. So why wouldn't my TV be updating? Is that TCL's fault? Do I need to reach out to them to find out about getting an update?

thanks
ron

Shawn's response notwithstanding, TVs often are the last devices to get firmware updates from Roku. Don't bother contacting TCL.

-JT
0 Kudos