Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kytrid
Level 7

TCL Roku TV - Amazon Prime Screensaver?

Jump to solution

Proviso: there are lots of "Amazon Prime makes a black screen, but I still hear sound" threads on the web. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM.  :^)

Regardless of what my tv screensaver settings are, Prime causes the screen to go black after a certain amount of idle time. I assume this is a lame attempt at a screen saver. When you poke a button on the remote, the screen reactivates and the tv works normally. It's obviously a design implementation, not a flaw. 

The problem: Whenever you walk into a room to watch TV, and are faced with a black screen, what do you do? Why, you turn it on, right? In this case, you've just turned your TV OFF since it was on but in some kind of special Amazon Prime standby mode. Then comes the "oh, f***, I just did it again. F*** you, Amazon," moment. Then you get to turn the TV back on. Everyone in my household absolutely hates this. It's one of those things that makes you wonder how anyone, much less an engineer, could ever come up with such an amazingly stupid idea. 

I've fiddled through all the TV settings ad nauseum, searched and re-searched the web. No answers on how to disable this misbegotten feature. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: TCL Roku TV - Amazon Prime Screensaver?

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Amazon Prime Video support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Prime Video support here: https://www.primevideo.com/help

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Strega
Level 14

Jump to solution

You said you checked the TV settings but how about Amazon settings?  Ie: once their app is running, it can pretty much do whatever it wants.  If it wants to display black, it can, regardless of any Roku or TV setting.  BTW I have no idea of whether they have such a setting, and it could on their Roku app or on their website. If they don't, you can ask them and/or look for other ways to tell if your TV is on.  For example, on my TV, there is a LED in the lower right corner that comes ON when the TV is OFF.

0 Kudos
MelissaC
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes! I'm always turning my tv off. I HATE that. 

0 Kudos
GaryDsGal
Level 7

Jump to solution

We just bought a TCL Roku TV & after noticing this sleep feature I have to say it totally sucks! Just as much as the Roku pop-up that wants to know if you're still watching. 🙄 I like listening to the TV when cleaning or doing other things around the house. But I hate being in the middle of something, like washing dishes or cooking and having to walk away to tend to ahhhh??? SMART TV? No a STUPID TV!!! 

I've tried all the settings too but can't find a way to stop it either. I understand that when the TV goes into sleep mode or idle mode or is off it saves on data usage. But why not include it as a option rather than a feature? Truthfully annoying and next software update needs to have a fix for us.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Amazon Prime Video support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Prime Video support here: https://www.primevideo.com/help

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos