Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shehab73
Level 7

TCL Roku: HBO Max not playing HBOMax exclusive content, only HBO

I have a TCL Roku with 4k enabled. I pay for the membership through Roku channel service - full fee $14.99

HBO Max app has issues. I can watch content marked with 'HBO' tags, usually old or some exclusives like the movie 'Tenet' , but I can not play any of the 'MaxOriginal'  titles like 'Justice League" . When I select a "MaxOriginal" title, the screen goes black , and then returns to menu screen. 

Is there an issue with the app. or do I need to end my subscription on Roku, and start a new subscription with HBO independently? 

Anyone else have this issue? Any fixes? 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TCL Roku: HBO Max not playing HBOMax exclusive content, only HBO

When problems are confined to a particular channel, it may be that the channel didn't install properly, that it didn't update correctly, or that the installation has otherwise gotten corrupted. A reinstall may fix the problem, so give it a try.

Remove/reinstall procedure:

1. Highlight channel on home screen.
  2. Press * key and choose Remove channel option.
  3. IMPORTANT- DON'T SKIP:
    Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart. (On a Roku TV, this is Settings > System > Power > System restart.)
  4. Reinstall the channel. Note it will be added to the END of the channel grid.
  5. If channel requires a login, you may need to log in anew.

If the problem persists at this point, it typically means the current version of the channel app has a problem that must be addressed by the channel itself as they are the ones that create the Roku-compatible version of their app and provide it to Roku.

But your question re subscribing directly with HBO Max is a good one.  There have been numerous complaints here of subscriptions to premium services made through Roku not having access to everything offered by the channel.

Personally I have no experience with premium subscriptions made through Roku as all my premiums are subscribed directly with the source channel via the channel's website.  This gives me access to the channel, not just via Roku, but via all platforms supported by the channel: computer browser, app on mobile phone or tablet, app on Roku or other supported streaming device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600