Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tony17
Level 8

TBS channel - we were unable to authenticate your device and can't continue

I watch TBS channel all the time and today it said oops there was a problem. Sorry for the inconvenience! Here's what happened: Sorry but we were unable to authenticate your device and can't continue. I tried uninstalling, reboot, reinstalling, reboot, and it didn't work. I also tried factory reset, and that didn't work either. I also tried unplugging it for a day and plugging it back in and it didn't work. What should I do? Has anyone else had this problem?

3 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: I watch TBS channel all Sorry but we were unable to authenticate your device and can't continue

Did you recently drop a subscription to a paid service that carries TBS?

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
Tomgifford
Level 7

Re: TBS channel - we were unable to authenticate your device and can't continue

Same exact thing for TBS and TNT now.  Too bad just the one answer. Wondering if my Roku model is no longer supported (3100x). Such a shame since it works fine for Netflix and Prime and better than ever for YouTube, NBC, NBC sports and is okay for CBSallaccess. Doesn't seem to work for Freeform now either though. And in the few months I dropped Hulu they no longer supported my model when I tried to rejoin!

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: TBS channel - we were unable to authenticate your device and can't continue

@Tomgifford wrote:

Same exact thing for TBS and TNT now.  Too bad just the one answer. Wondering if my Roku model is no longer supported (3100x). Such a shame since it works fine for Netflix and Prime and better than ever for YouTube, NBC, NBC sports and is okay for CBSallaccess. Doesn't seem to work for Freeform now either though. And in the few months I dropped Hulu they no longer supported my model when I tried to rejoin!

It's time to replace that antique.  Your Roku 3100 2 XS from 2011 is a second generation Roku; current products are generation 9 and 10.  It cannot run the latest versions of Roku software and so is stuck on version 9.1.  The only reason it can still run Netflix is that, unlike some other channels such as Hulu, Netflix has continued support for older versions of their app that won't run on newer units -- for instance, Netflix has supported multiple user profiles for years but your Roku does not.

You already can't run some of the more popular channel apps, and it will only get worse.  Maintaining support for older units greatly complicates programming and maintaining the apps and you'll only see more and more channels dropping support for your 3100. 

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos