Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Syncing YouTube from roku Tv to my android phone and in reverse

Jump to solution

I am hoping that you can help me.

I have YouTube on my Android phone and also on my roku smart TV.

However when I watch something on the TV, the history does not show up in the history on my phone. Nor does the history on the phone show up in the roku app on tv.

The other problem that I have is when I watch YouTube videos on my TV, I do not know how to access the comment section as I can on my phone and laptop.

Please help me solve both of these problems
Thank you,
Stuart Joseph

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Syncing YouTube from roku Tv to my android phone and in reverse

Jump to solution

You can't reach the comment section of a YouTube video from the Roku channel, and I don't think it's possible on any other streaming platform. It's not available on the Shield or the Fire TV devices either. 

I don't think YouTube shows a watched list on the devices. As long as you're logged into it with your account, you can access your subscribed channels on any device, and you still get the same recommended videos on different devices. And I believe the past search list is sync'd. But I don't believe the watched list is available on your Roku. I just checked the main YouTube web page, and I do see my past history from both my Roku and Shield, but on both devices I can't recall ever seeing a history menu. I'll check again this evening, just to make sure I haven't overlooked it. The app is identical on the Shield and Roku, so if one has it they both would.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

You can't reach the comment section of a YouTube video from the Roku channel, and I don't think it's possible on any other streaming platform. It's not available on the Shield or the Fire TV devices either. 

I don't think YouTube shows a watched list on the devices. As long as you're logged into it with your account, you can access your subscribed channels on any device, and you still get the same recommended videos on different devices. And I believe the past search list is sync'd. But I don't believe the watched list is available on your Roku. I just checked the main YouTube web page, and I do see my past history from both my Roku and Shield, but on both devices I can't recall ever seeing a history menu. I'll check again this evening, just to make sure I haven't overlooked it. The app is identical on the Shield and Roku, so if one has it they both would.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

The answer given here is not accurate. My Roku YouTube history used to sync up with my account, whether I was using YouTube on my computer or the app on my Android phone. However, I was having trouble with the Roku app and deleted and re-downloaded it a few months ago, and now it won't sync up anymore. I've looked at every account setting I can find, and I can't see any reason for this happening. I'm logged in to my Google account (the same and only Google account I have on all of my devices), so I'm really at a loss. But they absolutely used to sync up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@Rob_P wrote:

The answer given here is not accurate. My Roku YouTube history used to sync up with my account, whether I was using YouTube on my computer or the app on my Android phone. However, I was having trouble with the Roku app and deleted and re-downloaded it a few months ago, and now it won't sync up anymore. I've looked at every account setting I can find, and I can't see any reason for this happening. I'm logged in to my Google account (the same and only Google account I have on all of my devices), so I'm really at a loss. But they absolutely used to sync up.

I just checked one of my Roku players, and indeed History is now available on the YouTube channel. It's a little hidden, in that you have to go to the Library. I can't say for sure if it was there or not when I replied back in January. I see in my history a video I watched this morning from my work laptop (honest, it was work related...), so it is linked to my account correctly. I also see videos I watched on my Shield, so all looks good. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

After fiddling around a bit more today, it seems that my problem (and perhaps the OP's problem) is that the YouTube app on the Roku is linked to my Google account under my real name, but not to my specific YouTube channel, which is a different name (although still under my same Google account). Unfortunately, although the subscriptions are shared between the two, the watched history is not, and I see no option to sign in to my channel on the Roku, although I'm able to switch back and forth on the computer. I even deleted the app again and re-downloaded it and connected the account through my phone, which is signed in to my channel, and it still just connects to the main Google account with my real name, and not my YouTube channel. Given that there doesn't seem to be a way to sign in to a specific channel on the Roku, I don't see a way to resolve this.

The strange thing is that for years, I had no issues with this, as the history was always shared among my devices, including the Roku. It was only in March, when I deleted the app and reconnected it to my account, that I experienced this problem. Maybe something changed with Google/YouTube, and the Roku app never updated?

Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

@Rob_P wrote:

Maybe something changed with Google/YouTube, and the Roku app never updated?

Well, Google is responsible for the YouTube app on the Roku, so if they changed something that differs from other apps, it's their fault. But I also have a Nvidia Shield, and the app on that looks identical to the app on Roku devices. Of course, I don't have a YouTube channel of my own, so perhaps there's something in the app that is supposed to recognize that and behave differently. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

This is exactly the issue (and the only reply here that is correct). With some frustration, I have come to this conclusion. It really detracts from the YouTube-Roku experience. I hope they fix it soon.

0 Kudos